Boom.

____________________________________PART TEN___________________________________

   Gare sat us all down in a row of plush leather seats. Looking at me in sincere apology, I forgave him telepathically. He nodded as if he knew.

“As you all know,” he addressed us all, looking directly at Donovan and I, who were holding hands tightly. “I have accidentally and unknowingly killed Ciera’s father.” we all nodded and sighed, accidentally my ass I thought to myself. 

“But the mission is still on.” He stood up, pulling a duffel bag out from behind his chair. 

“What is out mission exactly?” Don questioned, squeezing my hand as if to brace us for another scene like The-Night-I-Became-An-Orphan. That’s what I’d been calling it since that night in the shower. 

Handing me a really thick, dust-quilted book he said, “You’ll see.” 

Glancing over at Donovan and I- Don who was looking at the book, trying to read the title- he said “Wipe off the dust.” So I did so, coughing as dust flakes tickled my nose. 

I read the title aloud: “Break Your Bank In Thirty-Two Days?” 

“Indeed you’re right CiCi.” he poked my shoulder. “You’ve got 10 days to read that. We’ve had too much dilly-dallying. It’s time to get this mission rolling.” 

“But.., why is she needing to read this?” Donovan asked Gare, with a creased brow. The sunlight was shining into the room so he squinted at Gare, making his nose crinkle adorably. 

“You’ll see. As for you tech boy…” Gare pulled Donovan away from me, up and out of the chair, breaking out grasp on each other.  He sat him down at a desk in the corner, opening the laptop. 

“I need you to break this firewall.” 

“Why?” Don asked, looking up at him.

“Just do it.” Gare began to get stern with him, grabbing his shoulders with a hard slap! 

I stood up, beginning to get angry. “Watch it!” I snapped at Gare. Donovan’s sweet brown eyes widened as he realized I was defending him. 

Gare slapped me hard across the face, but I didn’t flinch. Slapping him back I yelled, “You can abuse me but I swear to god if you lay even the slightest finger on him I will slit your throat and send your blood flying into the eyes of all your little helpers you piece of shit!” 

Gare grabbed me in a chokehold, screaming at me to not use the tone I did with him ever again or he’d kill me then and there. Donovan immediately sprung up, grabbing Gare by the shoulders, pulling him off me.

“Let her go!” he shouted, and Gare let go. I breathed heavy, my asthma began to play at me. I was hoping I wouldn’t end up in the hospital again, so I tried to steady my breathing. I was gasping by the time Don and Gare stopped arguing- which was about 5 minutes.

“Look what you did!” Donovan yelled into Gare’s face, rushing over to a suffocating me, as I was clutching my chest and breathing hard.

“Oh my shit I’m sorry Ciera. Breathe please.” Gare tried to soothe me. He gave me a glass of water, but all it did was make me cough. Soon, I calmed down.

When I could breathe I said, “That wasn’t all you.” Gare sighed in relief. “It was my asthma too.”

“I’m glad you didn’t have to go to the hospital yet again.” Don laughed.

“If I did you know you’d visit me.” I laughed back. 

“Don…” Gare started. “Firewall.” he pointed to the laptop, and they both walked over. Handing me the book, Gare sat down and started fumbling with his Smartphone.  I opened the book and started to read: