Chapter Ten: The "Best" Day of Ralph's Life.

Start from the beginning

Ralph nodded, trembling, and handed him the file. Mr Daniels's eyes swept through them.

'Well done, men!' He said when he was done. 'Great work indeed! I have to say I am very pleased. And even better, looks like Mr Murphy gave 49% of the credit to you, Mr Smith. Very impressive.' He continued smiling at the two men. Mr Smith beamed.

'Well I suppose you don't have any more work. Both of you can go home now, get some rest and come back tomorrow at the usual time.' He said, waving them off.

The men walked out of the office.

'Well, Clyde, looks like we did a good job. I'll call a taxi, do join me.' Ralph offered.

'No, no, sir. I'll walk home, it's not very far from here. I'll see you tomorrow. ' Clyde refused, smiling.

'Well, okay then.' Ralph said and they parted ways.

After a few minutes, Ralph managed to get a taxi. He reached his home and paid the driver before exiting. He walked into his house and was immediately greeted by the sight of his fuming, seething and sizzling mother. Ralph could practically see the smoke coming out of her ears. Add nostrils too.

'Ranulph Murphy! Would you please explain to me why you weren't able to come home? You sent me a text at three in the morning telling me you had work. And what about before that, hmm? I was worried sick all night! You could've informed earlier couldn't you?! I couldn't get any sleep! I was so worried. And at three in morning, I receive your little text that looks like a telegram. Not even a proper sentence! What will I ever do with you, Ralph?' She lectured him. Ralph muttered a sorry.

'Well what has happened has happened. Now come and have breakfast.' She said to Ralph, much calmer after her little outburst.

'I'm not hungry, I had had food from the canteen.' He lied through his teeth. He was feeling miserable. He did not want to eat. How could he worry his mother like that?! He was a fool.

He went to his room. He had a quick shower and brushed his teeth. He changed into more comfortable clothes. He dried his hair before lying down on his bed. Sleep soon took over his conscious state.

The day dragged on. Ralph got up and walked around his room, went down for lunch, and read a book. At four in the afternoon, there was a knock on the door. Aofie entered looking at Ralph strangely. Ralph looked at her intently as if asking why she was here.

'Would you mind dropping me off to my dance school?' Mum has gone to a friend's house and dad's not here.' Aofie requested her brother.

'O-okay.' Ralph agreed feeling very uncomfortable. His sister always hated him, she never came to his room and always looked at him with scorn. So why was she looking so...humble all of a sudden? He didn't do something wrong again now, did he?

He changed into a blue plaid shirt and black trousers. He and Aofie walked out of the house. Ralph hailed a taxi. They got in and Aofie told the driver the location much to Ralph's relief.

As the driver drove to their destination, Aofie began speaking.

'I was in the attic today. I saw something peculiar there, you know.' Looking at her brother, expecting a response but none came. Nevertheless she continued.

'It was a bunch of trophies. They were 1st prizes for some math competitions, from what it looked like to me, but the owner's name has worn off due to age.'

She said looking out the window. She still didn't get a response. But she didn't notice her brother's eyes widening.

'I asked father to get rid off them!' Ralph hissed inside his head.

'Anyways.' she sighed, 'That might be a glitch. I don't know. I hate math. They might belong to dad or someone else.' She concluded.

Ralph internally sighed in relief. They reached the school. Ralph paid the driver. They entered. Aofie walked up the stairs to her dance class while Ralph sat in the waiting area. It was a dull place, and Ralph, as usual, was in no mood to talk to anyone. So he did the only thing that he could do there.

He slept.

He was awakened by the sound of a person impatiently tapping their foot. He opened his eyes groggily and was met with the angry face of none other than his very sweet sister.

'If you're done with your beauty sleep, we can get out of this hell hole now.' She said, sounding very annoyed. Her annoyance wasn't directed at Ralph, but he felt as if it was and suddenly began feeling guilty for sleeping as he thought that was what annoyed her.

Aofie stopped on the way to buy two cups of hot chocolate. It was one of the only things that could calm her down when she was mad. Ralph, on the other hand, hated its very molecules, and grimaced as he drank it very slowly.

They went back home in another taxi. While Ralph paid the driver, Aofie headed inside. It was dark by then. He was still not done with his hot chocolate, which was cold and had turned into a milkshake instead, and carried it in his hands, chewing the straw impatiently. He wanted to throw it in the sink, but he was not the type of person to waste food like that and unfortunately Peter didn't like it either. Best friends, indeed.

Besides, he didn't want to disappoint his sister, who would probably see him throwing it out.

As Ralph was passing by the apple tree in their front yard, he heard a soft rustling.

'A squirrel perhaps.' He thought.

He went near to see if something was there. Suddenly, there was a short yelp, as someone fell right on top of him, spilling the now milkshake all over his shirt and face but mostly his hair. He felt a stinging sensation on his collarbone and agonising pain where his stitches were...in his thigh. It felt as if something tore his flesh out of his thigh.

'Hrrk! Oh you bloody barmy!!! Oversized mongrel! What a bugger! Aaah! You just burnt my skin, you bloody, bloody, dog!!!' He screamed at the top of his voice. He groaned and whimpered and wailed and did whatever his brain told his vocal cords to do.

'I am so sorry! I totally did not see you, I tripped on a twig and fell. I AM SO SORRY!' A feminine voice exclaimed, sounding extremely apologetic.

'Why does everyone have to fall!? Is the gravitational field getting too strong?! And why do I have to be there to save their arses?!' Ralph screamed in his mind.

'Ralph, why the hell are you... Oh my good Lord, what happened?!'
Ralph suddenly heard his mother's voice.

'Oh this day keeps getting better and better!' Ralph thought and squeezed his eyes in despair instead of choking the life out of the girl who fell on him...and caused him unbearable pain.

**************
We don't know how many typos and grammatical mistakes here, please forgive us.

On the bright side we are quite happy with this chapter so, yay! :-)

But, honestly, forgive the mistakes.