Chapter Nine: Welcome To Work!

Ralph was released from the hospital on the next Sunday. He went back to work on Monday. He was nervous about all the reaction from his colleagues.

He entered the office building. On his way, he was welcomed with smiles, welcome backs, scoffs and whatnot. Each scoffs and snide remarks about his so-called heroism...was about to make him turn on his heels and get out of the office.

He headed towards his well-known Actuary Department. That's where all the actuaries worked. The cubicles of the actuary were small, but well equipped.

Ralph was about to step into his ol' comfy friend, when he saw Mr Smith working away on the next cubicle.

'Good morning, Mr Smith.' Ralph greeted the young man. It startled Mr Smith who had his nose buried in a file.

'Good morning, Mr Murphy, glad to see you up and about!' He beamed after he had regained his composure.

Ralph sat down in his comfy cubicle's chair. He was just getting warmed up with the files piled up on his table when Mr Daniels's PA, Mr Wells, came to throw a pebble on the glass.

"Mr Murphy, Mr Smith...Mr Daniels is calling you.' He informed them.

'What now!' Ralph thought, internally grumbling. He glanced at Mr Smith and saw he had a surprised expression plastered on his face.

They went to the boss's room and found Mr Daniels eating crisps and watching a cricket match between Australia and West Indies.

'You wished to see us, boss?' Mr Smith caught his tensed boss's attention. He threw a glare at him and looked at Ralph, smiling brightly.

'Mr Wells, please do keep an eye on the match. I'll be back.' He said to his PA and turned to Ralph and Smith again.

"Uh-huh! Look who's here. Mr Murphy! Nice to see you, alive and kicking." Mr Daniels exclaimed, ecstatic.

'M-my pleasure, sir.' Ralph stammered.

'I have heard what you did on the site from several reliable sources.' He threw a glance at the poor Smith. Daniels's eyes clearly gave away the fact that he didn't believe a single man's words. He never believed anybody but himself. Smith doubted whether he beloved himself or not.

'That, ladies and gentlemen, is a matter of debate.' He thought, clearly amused at his boss's attitude.

'And I must say, you have done an incredible job. Excellent...intelligence, loyalty and hearing capability!' Daniels praised Ralph in his own unconventional way.

'Thank you, Sir. Ralph said, feeling slightly relieved that he's not sacked.

'For that you get compliments, praise...and et cetera. Plus, you get to keep the chair warm. Isn't that bloody brilliant?! Of course, I need people. Honest people.' Mr Daniels said.

'I'm sure you'll get what you wish for.' Ralph replied.

Mr Daniels's bright expression soon turned into a grim one.

'I, make sure that I get that, Mr Murphy. Now, now, now...why did I actually call you? Oh yes! I need an audit with regard to the imported and exported goods of the company of this fiscal year, within 24 hours. If you fail, you are sacked.' He said in a breath, standing up with a dazzling smile.

And there goes relieved, down the drain for Ralph.

'Ye-yes sir!' Ralph replied, again stuttering slightly.