1

"Are you ok?" You asked hesitantly, approaching the shadowy figure slumped against the rails of the bridge. It was dusk and as you were walking to your car after work, you had noticed someone dragging themselves across the ground, stopping to rest after each slow movement.  Concerned, you moved closer to check it out. As you approached, you realized it was a man.  His long, shaggy brown hair, hung down, obscuring his eyes from view, making his face unrecognizable in the fading sunlight. His soaking wet clothing clung tightly to his muscular frame, revealing how hard he was working for every breath.

"Go away." The man hissed, his right hand clutching his side. Now that you were closer, you could see the blood running down his hand.  His shirt was also spotted with growing circles of blood, and one of his legs was sitting at an awkward angle. Judging by how rapidly the circles were growing , you knew the injuries were serious, he would bleed out soon if he didn't receive medical attention.

"Sir you're injured." You said, approaching cautiously. This man looked strong and could probably beat you in a fight even though he appeared to be severely injured. You kept your own right hand close to the gun you carried in your purse, just in case. "You need medical attention."

"What's it to you?" He growled, dragging himself backward with his other hand. The one that had remained tucked firmly behind his back.

"I'm a doctor, I can help you." You said, still steadily approaching him in an attempt to get a better look at his injuries.

"I don't want your help." He sneered, trying to back away from you but not getting very far.

"But it looks like you need it." You persisted. It was the reason you had become a doctor in the first place, your love of helping people. You weren't going to give up on it.

"I can't go to the hospital." He wheezes, his head whipping from side to side in search of other people. Both of you realizing at the same time, that you were in fact alone. It worried you, but seemed to put him at ease. "They'll come for me, once they know who I am." He whispers, his voice barely audible.

You debated for a moment, scared to know just who would be coming for him. You knew it would be safer to leave him, he'd told you to after all, and at least you could say that you'd tried to help him. You could even call the cops to come and take him to the hospital. Yet, somehow, you knew you couldn't. Just because there was a choice doesn't mean all of the options applied to you. Somehow, you just knew he wouldn't be there by the time the ambulance got there. No, you had to help him, despite the personal risk.

Deciding the less you knew, the better for everyone involved, you made an offer, "you don't have to go to the hospital, and no one will recognize you, I work at a urgent care and surgery facility not far from here, they just closed down for the night, but we can go in the through back, I'll help you, and no one will ever know."

The man seemed to consider your proposal, looking from you, back down to the rapidly expanding circle of blood on his shirt and then back up again. Then he just stared at you in silence. Knowing he didn't have much time, you took his silence as an agreement.

"Okay, you're in no shape to walk, so I'm going to go get my car." You said nervously, "you wait here."

The man nods, wincing as he presses his palm tighter against his wound. You hurried off, practically running to the parking garage, silently hoping he'd still be there when you got back.