Chapter 6 (OLD)

(This chapter is from the original story line and does not pertain to the events of the new story line. Once the new chapter is complete, this chapter will be replaced.)  

Before I was a drunk, I was always angry. Maybe that was part of the reason I got drunk; I was sick of being angry. 

When I left Daisy, I probably should've just gone up to my apartment on the second highest floor. I should've taken a nap, thought things through, then go to Daisy and apologize. I should've found the pacifist option.

While I should've done that, that isn't what I did. I didn't go to my apartment, I didn't take a nap, and I didn't go apologize. I was angry - angry at myself, angry at Gordon, angry at Jia. So I did the stupidest thing possible - I stormed off, towards Gordon's office.

When I got there, he was having what seemed like an important conversation with Dr. Jia-whatever-her-last-name-is. I opened the door without knocking, and didn't bother to respond to Jia's cursing. "What the hell," I started, "Did you think you were doing when you gave me that job? Was it some kind of joke to you two? Did you want her to turn on me?"

Jia looked over at Gordon, I worried look settling in her eyes. She looked back over at me, but her eyes had now turned hard as stone. "Dr. Campbell, perhaps it would be best if you took the rest of the day off. Your patients will be-"

"I'm not leaving this office until I get some sort of answer from you sick, twisted people." I could feel the anger in my going through my body, running in the same veins as my blood. I had never had good bosses, but I could feel the tension in the air right then, and it's right then that I should have known just how bad one of those doctors were.

Gordon's blind eyes stay fixated on one point as he began to say, "Miss Coulson-"

"Daisy," I said, my voice quiet. "Her name is Daisy."

"She will be-"

My voice rose with my anger, and I was lucky I didn't lose my job when I yelled, "Her name is Daisy!" I wanted to go on, to yell at them some more. I wanted to tell them that they didn't deserve to run the psychiatric ward, and that the patients deserved better doctors. But I couldn't. That one sentence took everything out of me, and I couldn't go on anymore.

Something wet ran down my cheek, and I knew it had to be a tear. I didn't reach up and wipe it away though. Instead, I kept my eyes on Dr. Jia, not moving a muscle. I wanted - no, I needed - to know what she had to say to all this.

When she spoke, I let out a soft gasp. "Dr. Campbell," she said, her voice quiet. "I would first like to tell you that Miss-" She broke off, then started again. "That Daisy is in good hands. These tests are her way of getting out. We will find another way to administrate them so you don't have to. Secondly, if you dare raise your voice at your superiors again, you will be sent packing, Lincoln." Jia moved forward, and for once I pictured her as something worse than my boss - I saw her as a snake.

"And the name is Johnson," she said, then promptly left the room. I stood there, her perfume sinking ijnto of the air around me. Gordon shifted over behind his desk, then sat down. His crystal eyes looked over to where I was.

"Watch who you piss off, Lincoln," he said. "I worry about you sometimes."

~~~

Later that night, I sat alone in my apartment. The doctor's apartments were the highlight of the ward; a mini-kitchen, a small living room, one bathroom, and one master bedroom. You were allowed to decorate them as you'd like, and the ward paid for any and all expense of renovation.