The Sending Off Ceremony

Rose felt her hands getting clammy around the parcel as she stood at the door waiting for it to be opened. She almost chose to turn around when the door opened.

"Rose! Hi!" Nicole was smiling like she was seeing an old friend. She stepped out and gave Rose a big hug. "It's about time you showed up!" She teased.

"I..." Rose was confused. "You're not upset?"

"No! Of course not, why would I be?"

"Oh just.... I thought... Mitoam... I guess not."

Nicole smirked, "I don't care about not making it into Mitoam anymore. Turns out my aura was just fine, that mist was lying."

"Lying? No it couldn't be." Rose was getting frantic. If it had lied for one person, it could've lied about anyone!

Nicole just kept grinning slyly, "Well anyways it doesn't matter, I got accepted somewhere else."

"Somewhere else? Where?"

"I'll let it be a surprise. Whatcha got there?" Nicole pointed at the parcel.

Rose had almost forgot about it! "Something I got at Ricky Train's for you... an early birthday gift." She handed the parcel to Nicole.

Nicole tore through the wrapping eagerly and what she found inside stole her breath away.

"It's enchanted to have the name of it's owner on one side of the blade. No one has touched it yet so..." Rose was smiling with Nicole. They both held their breaths as she unsheathed the silver dagger from Ricky Train's. Immediately it glowed and Nicole's name was written on it with an invisible hand.

"woah" they said in unison. Nicole stared at her dagger with awe. On the other side of the blade it had a faint design of a leaping tiger. On the hilt it had amber jewels making the shape of an N.

"It's... amazing!" Nicole hugged Rose again.

"I'm glad you like it! I... didn't want us parting ways for school tomorrow without having... without making sure we were still friends." Rose grinned sheepishly.

"I was just caught up in the moment, don't worry about that. Now I have to get packing and I think you have a ceremony to get ready for. It's good to see you Rose! I'll send you a letter when I get to my school."

"ok. Bye Nicole!"

The two-story auditorium was full to capacity and buzzing with so much excitement that it seemed electrified. There was a rumor going around that they were sending off three students to Mitoam this year! Last year they hadn't even sent one! Some even said one of the students was a Silens, a Silent Magician. Hardly anyone noticed when Mrs. Magistra, their Head of School, stepped out onstage. It took her a few minutes to get complete silence. It was one of the loudest silences ever heard so much excitement was whirring around the auditorium. "Students, today we have gathered for another Sending Off Ceremony...."

The principle came onstage and took the microphone from Mrs. Magistra, "this year we are actually sending off four people!" Whispers of amazement sprouted everywhere. The principle beamed at the assembly of students. Mrs. Magistra rolled her eyes.

"I would appreciate it if you let me do the introductions and then we can get dramatic." Mrs. Magistra said, not at all upset. The principle relented the microphone.

"Welcome students to another Sending Off Ceremony. As you know, last year we were unable to send any students to Mitoam. But this year, things have changed. We are about to send off three very talented students!" Everyone cheered and hooted and whistled.