Chapter Two

A Merry Band of Bandits

Uploaded 4 December, 2011

Copyright 2011 SamRider

Chapter Two

"Rise and shine!" Someone yelled. Joey groaned-why was his courtier waking him so early? And why was his bed so hard?

"Joseph! Get up!" A high voice shrieked. A small body leaped on him with an 'Oof!'

"Woah" He laughed. Suddenly, everything from the day before flooded back to Joey. He frowned. Why hadn't he gone home? But the little girl tugging at his hair pulled him away from his thoughts.

"Hey, Klo," He grinned, ruffling her hair. "What's for breakfast?"

Her face fell. "Nothing." She said sadly. Her wild hair framed a thin, sallow face. Joey could almost see her ribs behind her thin, tattered blouse.

"Well then," He said, sitting up and placing the young girl on his lap. "Let's go catch some."

*•*

Joey had never hunted before.

The early morning light filtered through the trees, its grey rays hardly lighting the forest. Robin and Lexor's lithe bodies stepped lightly, treading over dry sticks and leaves without a sound. Joey felt like an enormous oaf; all of the animals would hear his great, lumbering steps.

Lexor, dashing like a cheetah, sprinted through a different part of the forest-he'd join them later on.

Robin paused, bouncing ever so slightly on the balls of her feet. Quick as a jaguar, her hand flew to her quiver and grabbed an arrow, knocked it into her bow, and shot it straight into the heart of a squirrel.

"It's not much," She murmured, picking it up by its bushy tail. "But it'll feed Klo and Glacia."

Suddenly, both of them tensed, sensing movement behind them. Ever so slowly, Robin turned. Her small intake of breath was enough to make Joey whip around.

There, pecking idly at a blade of grass, not a thought in its brain, was the largest pheasant Joey had ever seen. And he was the PRINCE.

"That would feed us for a week," Robin breathed. He could almost feel her longing.

Without thinking, he pulled his sword from its scabbard and shot it straight at the bird

With one final surprised 'squawk!', it was dead.

Both children gaped at the dead animal. Then, Joey scampered to it, pulled the sword from its body, raised it by the neck triumphantly and yelled "Tonight, we eat like Kings!"

How ironic.