A birthday surprise for Severus

Start from the beginning

Severus

I was livid. I felt jealousy burning through me like fiendfyre. I had managed to get through the rest of my lessons, admittedly there had been some hefty house point docking, and more then one of them left my class in tears. I tried to calm myself, I tried to clear my mind, but images of her with that other professor kept creeping in. I clenched my teeth together and continued seething. How could I manage to keep it together in front of Lord Voldemort, but twenty seconds in her company sent me spiraling out of control! I had to get a grip for both our sakes. It was almost 6pm. I slammed the ingredients cupboard closed, smashing half a dozen glass jars in the process. I sighed impatiently, "repairo" I uttered before making my way out of my classroom and headed to her cottage.
The grounds were covered with freshly fallen snow which came almost halfway to my knees as I trudged through it. The wind howled ominously. I pulled my cloak tighter around myself and gritted my teeth as I struggled against the elements.
"come in" Phoenix cried as I knocked loudly on her front door. I shook the snow from my hair as I closed the door behind me. "Happy birthday my love! " she murmured as she took hold of my hands and pulled me to her. I smiled automatically, but I could feel my negativity pulsing through me. She gave me a puzzled look. I should have known she would pick up on my mood. She knew me far too well.
"Are you still sulking about earlier? " she asked as she stood glaring at me with her hands on her hips.
"Well what do you expect?!" I snarled back, my nostrils flared as I tried desperately to get a hold of my anger. However, for once, it was not me who lost my temper first.
"Now you listen to me Severus Snape!" she yelled, her cheeks flushing an angry crimson. "I do NOT expect you to govern who u choose to be friends with. It is my choice, not yours. When are you going to learn? I refuse to feel guilty or ashamed to be friends with Earnest, and yes, he is only a friend, nothing else. Do I make myself perfectly clear? !" Her chest was heaving the time she finished shouting. I didn't say a word, I just stared at her. "Now I've put alot of hard work into sorting out your birthday present, so will you do me a favour and stop making me feel so angry with you?" After she paused for a few seconds to see if I would answer her, she rolled her eyes and held out her hand. "Come here" she ordered abruptly. I reluctantly stepped towards her. She picked up a large, old teapot which was giving off a faint blue glow. Without another word she grabbed me tightly by the hand, and I felt my feet leave the safety of Phoenix' cottage. The invisible force of the port key pulled my body through a swirling, nauseating blur of time and space. Then almost as quickly as it started, it was all over. Instead of Hogwarts we were standing in the snow covered meadow beyond Phoenix' grandmothers cottage. "Come on" she muttered, clearly still angry with me. "Phoenix" I whispered, she carried on as if I hadn't spoken. "Listen!" I snapped as I pulled her arm back. She stopped abruptly, inclined her head ever so slightly but still refused to met my gaze. "I'm sorry" I growled, and as the words left my mouth, I knew I meant it. "You're absolutely right, I have no right to dictate who you can be friends with. I'm sorry." She looked at me with a hard stare, but gradually her expression began to soften. "Appology accepted" she grinned as she swooped in for a quick peck on the lips. She led the way a little more cheerful. I breathed a sigh of relief. I had never seen her lose her temper before, and I didn't intend to witness it again anytime soon. I still didn't care for Earnest Winters. He was hiding something, I could feel it. I made a mental note to myself to see what his agenda really was, but until then I followed on, my curiosity mounting as we continued onwards. Before long we arrived at the cottage. It looked so different now. The garden was neat and tidy. Even though it was covered in a snowy blanket at the moment. Phoenix pulled me forward eager to get me closer. But as we walked up to the front door I came to a halt. Across the entrance was a large Green ribbon baring the way forward. I looked at Phoenix. She looked back at me, a nervous expression etched upon her face. "Here" she said as she passed me an envelope. I took it then gingerly began to open it up. I scanned the letter and my jaw dropped.
"Happy birthday Severus" she whispered as she pulled out a pair of golden scissors from behind her back. The letter contained the deeds of this property. She was making me joint owner of her grandmothers cottage. "Phoenix" I managed to splutter.
"Welcone home my love." she smiled as she handed me the scissors. My hand shook as I cut the ribbon in two. "Phoenix you're giving me half this house?"I asked uncertainly.
"I've been thinking about living with each other for quite some time now, and after Christmas, I knew it was what I wanted more than anything in this world. Will you live with me here, in our cottage? " she asked shyly. I couldn't answer her, instead I engulfed her with my arms, held her tightly and brought my hungry lips to hers. I couldn't believe she had done this for me, for us. Never in my life had anyone done anything so loving and thoughtful. "I can't believe it. " I whispered as I stepped over the threshold of our new home. As I gazed around the kitchen, it was like I was looking around it for the very first time. We were home.
"This" I said as I gestured to the cottage, "is the most incredible gift I have ever received. Thank you." She smiled her most beautiful smile. "There is one more surprise" she purred seductively, "but you'll have to unwrap it in our bedroom." she gave me a playful wink as she pulled me through our cottage.