Chapter 5

June 26th, 2013

I didn't want to go to the beach with my dad's friend and his family. I hated socializing with people and I knew that would only make it more of a reason for my parents to force me to socialize. I knew there was no way out of this, but I still had to try. 

I suddenly hear loud knocking on my door and my dad shouts, "You better be ready by now, or I swear to god we will drag all the way from here 'til the beach!"
I groan,"but I don't want to go. Why are you forcing me to do this?"
"Katie, you have five minutes to be completely ready and standing by the door." He says, without answering my question.

I try to pick out any decent swimsuit and outfit to wear, but I have nothing. All my clothes were completely worn out. Being the person I am, I pick out the least-bad-looking outfit I have and put it on.
I have no one to impress or look good for, so I might as well wear whatever the hell I want.

I leave the room and go downstairs and I see my stressed mom packing up some useless stuff that we won't even use. "KATIE DON'T FORGET YOUR SUN BLOCK!" She shouts all the way from her room. I assure her that I'll put it on, and I start walking towards the car.

Summer was my least favorite time of the year, because I was forced to go out all the time, with people I didn't even know. Every year we went to the star point hotel. It was next to many different water parks and beaches that I never enjoyed going to. I hated getting tanned and I hated the fact that I had to shower every time I went into a body of water. On the other hand, I enjoyed reading, drinking hot chocolate and cuddling up in my blanket while watching movies.

When we arrive at the beach, my dad gets way too excited to introduce us to his friend. He runs up to him and shouts, "my man! What's up?."
After they're done, the awkward introduce-families-to-each-other moment had arrived.

The family had five members in it, two parents and three children. The only person who completely caught my eye was their son. He had the most striking eye color, it was kind of like his mom's. They were the perfect shade of blue, like the clear summer sky. I felt the urge to talk to him, or introduce myself to him, but my dad does the job for me,"and this is my daughter, Kate," he says, after introducing my entire family. I offer a small smile that disappears really quickly. When I look back at the boy he had this smirk on his face, which made him look even hotter. His two, younger sisters (Emily and Emma) just stood there beside him with no sign of any expressions on their face. I think to myself  who'd want to be friends with them?

After a few hours, I still haven't went inside the water and I was laying on a deck chair a few meters away from the sea. All I could think about was that boy. He hadn't introduced himself to us earlier and I was so curious to know his name. I was too shy to ask him or my dad, because he'd think I was into him and he'd straight up tell him that I liked him, even though I barely knew him.

While I lay on the chair, drowning in my own thoughts, I hear someone say,"Hi, I'm Troye." It takes me a second to snap back into reality,"and you must be Kate," he says in an Australian accent. He looks around him, as if he's running away from somebody, then continues speaking,"or Katie, as your dad likes to say. He keeps on talking about you over there," he points at my dad, who was talking to his friend.
I have never felt more embarrassed in my entire life. God knows what my dad said about me, he probably ruined the 0.01% chance I had with Troye. "Don't worry," he smirks,"he only said the good stuff."

We kept on talking for hours, and I never got bored of the conversation. We seemed to never run out of things to say to eachother.
Later on, we both sat around a bonfire and made some smores. It got a little chilly, so he offered to give me his jacket, although I tried to deny that fact that I was cold multiple times. He still ended up giving me his jacket though. 
Believe me when I say this, nothing in this world is better than the sweet smell of a boy's cologne on his clothes. I surreptitiously stole a few sniffs of his jacket, hoping that nobody had seen me.