0 - A Backstreet Boy - Part II

Start from the beginning

"I-- I won't tell you. My parents warned me about you." Her voice became bolder. "They said you are an abandoned kid. You and your sister-"

Vadiraj slapped her cheek, leaving red mark on her blood-drained skin. "I know who you are. I know every single soul in this town. I'll come look for you and your family in ten days' time. You can even start counting. Have fun living these ten days."

He let go of her shoulders. She shrieked and sped down the path. Her blonde hair looked akin to a white flag, surrendering to the fate which Vadiraj had designed for her. No one offered help, hiding behind curtains in their shops. Pitiful people. Always self-centred. Never courageous.

Afar, at the edge of the town, the sorcerers guarding the defensive wall cast him a contemptible glare, but they didn't steer from their station. He heard them mutter things like he should be executed, but no one dared betray the order of the prophecy. The oracle mentioned that he shouldn't be killed. If he was murdered, plague would befall Reminis, plague that they believed would be more terrifying than what he had planned to unleash onto the realm.

Unsightful brethren. Fools. He leered at their innocence.

A rumble came from his stomach, and he realised he hadn't taken his breakfast yet. He searched around and noticed a restaurant with a bear paw drawn on its shingle. Vadiraj stroked his goatee as he stepped into the outlet. The patrons huddled close to one another at the sight of him.

The owner hurried over, bringing a tray full of red lumps. "Mis-- Mister Vadiraj, these are all our specialties." He said as he put a plate of bear tongue, two plates of bear intestines, four plates of bear paws, and a set of colourful condiments on the table.

Vadiraj simply nodded.

"En-- Enjoy your meal." Without the need to be told, the owner scampered away.

Closing his eyes, Vadiraj sucked the juicy blood and chewed the flesh to his heart's content. He was famished. The food in front of him wouldn't last him till afternoon, but he would go with it for the moment. The best dining experience, to him, was to do the hunt himself. Seeing the pain in the animals' eyes when they were being slaughtered made Vadiraj feel that he had achieved something great. His sister and he had tried many cooking methods: braise, boil, toast, and fry.

The best was to eat the meat raw.

After licking his fingers clean, Vadiraj placed a gold coin on the table. He never ate without paying. One shouldn't take advantage on another's hard work. As he reached home, sitting in a rattan recliner in his yard, he began reading the books Dominic had brought him. Vadiraj had always wanted to learn mind reading. He spent the whole afternoon flipping through pages, scrolling down lines, until finally he found the way.

He just needed to suck that particular person's blood and their minds would be connected.

His sister volunteered to be his experiment. She was jumpy at the beginning. Sweeping her thick black curls away from her clammy face, she stretched out her right index finger. Her amber eyes darted from the dagger in Vadiraj's hand and back to her finger.

How could I hurt her when she had done so much for me? Vadiraj put down his dagger.

His sister read the doubt on his face. Snatching the dagger from his hand, she said, "You are my only family. We have been through heavy storms and biting cold. You've taken lots of beating to steal medicines for me when I suffered from fever. You hunt for me when I didn't dare do it myself. I wouldn't have lived till today if not because of your care. I will see you succeed." Half squatting, she cut her finger and dipped the blood droplets into Vadiraj's mouth.

Vadiraj recited some mantra and thought of himself as his sister, allowing their souls to blend. It only took him five attempts to succeed. The best part was, his sister couldn't read his mind. It wasn't like he'd mind sharing his thoughts with her. She was the one insisting on his privacy.

"You are to be the leader of Reminis. I don't want to spy on you." Holding Vadiraj's hand, her tone became solemn. "It's best to keep your thoughts to yourself. You can not trust all people. Remember, whatever you do, it's for the sake of the realm."

Vadiraj nodded at his sister when Dominic walked into the cave.

Vadiraj's lips curled upward at the sight of him. The crickets sang so harmoniously and the leaves danced gracefully, in contradict to the blood boiling within his veins. The time of his glory was approaching; he knew it from the look of Dominic.

Dominic brought out his map. "I have just communicated with my master. He said it's time for us to find the Staff of Januska. It's also time for you to make the decision." Dominic placed his hands on Vadiraj's shoulders. "You must understand that when you choose the path of Undead, you can do anything, except that you can no longer perform magic. Your wand will turn completely black, yet you can seal it inside the Staff of Januska."

"You're sure that the Staff of Januska is greater than my wand?" asked Vadiraj, while stroking his goatee. As Dominic nodded, Vadiraj exclaimed, "So what are we waiting for?" He laughed. His raucous laughter filled the cave which he camped in.

His sister laughed along; Dominic laughed too.