0 - A Backstreet Boy - Part II

Start from the beginning

"You crafted this?" Bewildered, she air-touched the necklace.

Vadiraj nodded. As he pointed to the necklace, he winked. "Twenty gemstones in total too."

His sister threw her arms around his neck. Controlling her sobs, she muttered, "I was doubtful when I heard explosion a week ago coming from the Jewel Deck. I had even begun to suspect you when I saw you staying up late, working in shadows with your bandaged fingers!"

"I don't think suspect is the correct word." Vadiraj beamed as he stroked her voluminous hair.

His sister pulled her arms away from his neck. "Did it take you long to blast the hill apart?"

"The equal amount of time you take to finish your sundae."

"That long? You should've brought me along. It would be so much fun to do it together."

"The surprise will be ruined then. Come, let me wear it for you."

Vadiraj took out the necklace from the box and placed it around his sister's neck.

When the Lobster Claw was hooked into the Spring Ring and the necklace was secured, his sister darted towards the full-length mirror, the very same mirror that had witnessed them grow for years. She caressed the necklace as she admired her reflection. Vadiraj complemented her beauty before he went to freshen up by the nearby creek. When he returned, his sister helped him wear the cloak and then sat him on the cavern floor.

Humming, she plaited his long black hair into hundreds of braids. A turf of zephyr blew into the cave, and his hair tickled his face like tentacles of an octopus. Vadiraj was savouring the speed of his sister's fingers traveling along his scalp, when a sudden hustle came from the bush.

A mousy-haired man with a hunchback appeared. "I see you're ready to build some reputation."

Vadiraj nodded.

"I am sure if you walk around the town in this apparel, the people will fear and respect you. I came here to deliver great news to you," said Dominic, while putting a bundle of books on the floor. "My men have found the scrolls. The ritual can be carried out tonight if you find the spell."

Nodding, Vadiraj stroked his goatee. The short stubble of hair coating his diamond-shaped chin made him look fearsome. Standing up, he pecked his sister on the cheek, and decided to have a brisk stroll at the town. He would do the reading later.

Dominic followed behind him but as they reached the edge of Tangle Wood, they parted. They couldn't let the town people see them together. Dominic was now the Chief Sorcerer, a position he acquired to help build Vadiraj's empire.

After bidding good-bye, Vadiraj stepped on the cobblestone path; his amber eyes swept the town people off their feet. They scattered away and hid in their shops. Vadiraj smirked. When he was younger, he had heeded Dominic's advice and begun to often cause havoc to the hawkers. He would use the trees as his shields while casting incantations, making the goods fly everywhere. Seeing the people panicked made him joyful.

His smile morphed into a resonating laughter as he recalled his triumphs. A sudden yelp came from behind him. Vadiraj turned around and came face to face with a blonde girl, probably eight years of age. His laughter must've scared her.

Vadiraj seized her shoulders. "Why are you shaking, girl?"

"You-- You are a devil."

Vadiraj felt her vibrant tremble under his grip. Standing six feet tall, his shadow cast onto her like a mountain would to a small valley. Sneering, he asked, "What's your name?"