Chapter 25: The True Pact

"The Rose Sword! It's glowing with power!" said Edmond. Annette looked at the sparkling sword. "Rose Sword, please help me! Give me the power to help my friend!" she thought desperately.

As if in response, the sword glowed even brighter and the bright red light enveloped her. Annette could feel the power course within her. The vines that bound her started to wither. Finally, after a few seconds, the red light disappeared. She broke free and landed safely on the ground.

She glared at the Crooked Man. "All right, buster! I know that you're not the real guy! You're nothing but an illusion!" she said, pointing the Rose Sword at him.

The Crooked Man didn't flinch. He merely smiled wickedly. Mother Goose appeared from behind. "What an observant girl you are." she said. Then she nodded towards the Crooked Man. He disappeared into a puff of smoke. "You let my friend go!" said Annette fiercely. Mother Goose simply grinned. "As you wish." With a wave of her hand, the vines put Noir down to the ground.

With one swift, graceful move, Annette sliced the vines holding Noir. Noir fell to the ground, unconscious. "Noir!" Annette ran to his side. She grimaced when she saw the burn marks on his black fur and skin. Thankfully, they don't seem very deep. "Noir, you okay? Wake up!" she said, gently shaking him. He groaned in pain.

"Annette..." Noir let out a weak whisper. "Shh. Just hold on, Noir." said Annette as she helped Noir stand. "I'll find a way to help you get better!"

Mother Goose chuckled evilly. "He's beyond healing. Why prolong the inevitable? He won't live though the evening." Annette glared at her. "Wanna bet? I'm not gonna let him die!" She pointed the Rose Sword at Mother Goose. "I'm gonna make sure he lives till morning!"

Mother Goose was becoming impatient. "I'm growing weary of your persistence, you little brat! Hand over the Rose Sword or you and your feline friend shall die tonight!"

"You want the Rose Sword that badly? Come and get it, Granny!" taunted Annette. Mother Goose looked at her, confused. "What did you just call me?" she asked.

"You heard me, Granny! What's the matter? Too chicken to get it yourself?" Annette started flapping her arms and making clucking noises. "Bawk! Bawka!" she clucked. "How dare you insult me that way?" Mother Goose yelled, outraged.

"Jacques!" Immediately, the Crooked Mouse appeared by her side. "Take down this troublesome pest!" "As you wish, Mistress." Jacques said. He charged towards Annette, his claws outstretched, cackling manically. Annette saw this and shielded herself. Jacques swiped at her, but Annette blocked his blows. "Once I take your sword, I shall rip you to shreds!"

"Just try, rat face!" retorted Annette. They spared for a few minutes. Then suddenly, Jacques struck Annette's chest with his claws and knocked her down.

Annette groaned in pain. Her chest hurt badly. "Oww...!" Jacques stood over her menacingly. Annette tried to get up, but he pushed and pinned her down.

"Now, prepare to suffer, girlie!" he said as he raised his claws, ready to strike the killing blow. Annette squeezed her eyes shut. Suddenly, a furry black hand grabbed Jacques's wrist. Jacques turned and saw Noir, his gold eyes glowing with fury. "Don't you dare touch her!" he snarled.

"Not you again!" Jacques growled. He turned away from Annette and lunged at Noir. Noir dodged his attack. Jacques launched another attack at Noir, but Noir dodged again, rebounded and struck back.

Seeing that he was no match for Noir, Jacques turned into his rat form and scampered away. "What do you think you're doing, you cowardly rodent? Fight back!" hissed Mother Goose.

Noir turned into his cat form and chased after Jacques. His razor sharp claws tore across the rat's flank, grazing the skin. Jacques squeaked in pain and ran into the bushes, disappearing from sight. Mother Goose was growing impatient. She was having enough of the delays. "Enough games! I'll make you suffer my wrath!" she screamed. She tapped her cane on the ground and started chanting.

But strangely, Noir didn't writhe in pain or scream in agony. He seemed very calm. Mother Goose was dumbfounded. "How...? This is not possible! You're supposed to writhe in agony, screaming for mercy!"

Noir simply smiled. "I am no longer in your control." he said, pointing to his collar. The golden cat bell was gone. "What?! Where is it...?" Mother Goose looked around. Then she turned towards Annette.

Sure enough, Annette was holding the golden cat bell in her hand. "Annette Chen has proved herself to be my mistress." said Noir as she put the cat bell back on his collar.

"Don't be preposterous! She's only a mortal girl! What good is she? She's not fit to be anyone's mistress!" scoffed Mother Goose. Noir put his hand on Annette's shoulder, making her slightly blush.

"The pact has been sealed. I asked her to steal my cat bell and she has sealed the pact. From this moment on, I serve only my lady and mistress. As long as she holds the contract, I obey only her."

"Deceptive cat! You will regret what you just said to me!" said Mother Goose, her voice dripping with rage. "I shall make you and the girl suffer!" She tapped her cane on the ground. "Humpty Dumpty!" she chanted.

As soon as she said those words, a large whirlwind of purple mist appeared. A large figure emerged from the mist, revealing a fat man wrapped in bandages, looking like a mummy. He was dressed in tattered clothing and has blazing eyes that glowed an ominous yellow.

Annette shuddered. The way he moved, he was more like an animal than a man. "That's Humpty Dumpty?" she asked. "I'm afraid so. Run, run now!" yelled Noir.

Annette didn't hesitate. Without wasting a single second, she ran into the west side of the forest. "Follow the girl, and devour her!" said Mother Goose, pointing to the direction where Annette ran.

Humpty Dumpty roared and started to run after Annette. But Noir leapt between him and the path. Noir crouched down and hissed at him. "You stupid cat! You can't stop me!" bellowed Humpty Dumpty.

He lunged at Noir, but Noir dodged his attack and thrust his claws on his hand. He bellowed in pain.

Baring his razor-sharp claws and fangs, Noir turned into his cat form and leaped onto Humpty Dumpty's chest. He hollered in pain as Noir climbed onto his shoulders and clamped down hard. Humpty Dumpty punched the ferocious cat, but Noir held on, clawing at him and yowling like a banshee.

Noir fought valiantly against his much larger opponent, but he couldn't ignore the pain from the burn wounds. Soon the pain got the better of him and he winced in pain.

Humpty Dumpty noticed his weakness and smiled. He grabbed Noir's neck and flung him hard against a tree. The blow made the burns hurt even more and it knocked the air right from Noir's lungs. He coughed and groaned as he fell to the ground.

Humpty Dumpty turned and sprinted down the forest path towards Annette. Noir lifted his head, trying to stand, but he was too weak and collapsed. "I cannot....let....that...monster......hurt Annette!" he thought desperately. "I've...got to...protect her!"

Noir struggled to stand, but then Mother Goose towered over him menacingly. "You still have a deal to uphold. If you value the girl's life."