Chapter 17: Catnapped!

Noir didn't respond. He just dangled limply in Mother Goose's grasp.

"Oh, no! Noir!" said Hoots in horror. Annette couldn't believe it. That evil witch has Noir in her hand! Noir didn't stir. He seemed lifeless, almost as if he's..."No, he can't be dead! He just can't!" thought Annette anxiously. "Noir..."

"Make your choice, girlie. This worthless cat's life for the Rose Sword!" said Mother Goose, pointing at the rapier in Annette's hand.

Annette felt a sudden rage well up inside her. "You heartless witch! You're willing to trade an innocent life for a stupid sword? That's messed up! What kind of sick trade is that?" said Annette angrily. Mother Goose smiled wickedly. "Oh, but you know nothing about the powers of the Rose Sword."

"Oh, yeah? What's so special about the Rose Sword, huh?" asked Annette, pretending that she didn't know. "The legendary Rose Guardian once wielded this magical sword. It has been hidden for centuries. Whoever possesses it will be granted immense power. Now you, a young human girl has been chosen as the new Rose Guardian!"

"Intimidate me all you like, but I won't give you the sword!" said Annette boldly. "Make up your mind! Hand over the sword, or I'll drop him!" threatened Mother Goose. Annette grasped the sword tightly in her hand. She bit her lip nervously.

"Don't give her the sword!" said a weak voice suddenly. Annette looked up. She saw Noir, having regained consciousness and in his humanoid form, struggling to free himself from Mother Goose's grasp. But her grip was as strong as iron. "Don't give her the sword, Annette. She will do evil things if she possesses the sword!" said Hoots.

"Let my friend go, or you'll be sorry!" yelled Annette. Mother Goose gritted her teeth. "Impudent brat!" she cursed.

Mother Goose raised her hand. A mass of dark magic erupted from her hand. She hurled the dark magic at Annette and Emily. Emily screamed. "Raise your sword in the air! Say 'Rose Barrier'! It will shield you!" yelled Noir.

Annette raised her sword in the air. "Rose Barrier!" yelled she. The silver metal rose on the hilt melted into a real crimson rose. Suddenly, a shower of shiny rose petals emerged from the blade and surrounded Annette and Emily. The dark magic bounced off the rose petal barrier.

Mother Goose's eyes widened. "What? How can this be...?!"

The rose petals disappeared. Annette and Emily were unharmed. "Curses!" shrieked Mother Goose. Annette pointed her sword at Mother Goose. "Let my friend go!" she yelled.

Mother Goose paused. Then, she smiled evilly. "We shall see about that!" she said as she floated down to the ground. Noir then clawed at Mother Goose's hand. She hissed in pain and released him.

"Goose, you wicked old hag! Leave her alone! How dare you try to hurt my mistress!" Noir hissed. Mother Goose turned to him. "You'll make her give me the sword, won't you, Noir?" she said, an evil grin on her face.

Noir growled at her. "The Rose Sword is not yours to possess! I won't allow you to hurt her!" Noir hissed and charged at Mother Goose. But Mother Goose suddenly turned into dark mist.

Noir clawed at the mist, but it was useless. "Curse her!" thought Noir as he looked around. "Where are you, witch?!" he snarled.

Mother Goose appeared behind him. Noir turned around to strike, but Mother Goose knocked him down with her cane.

"Don't forget who owns you! You belong to me!" said Mother Goose. She tapped her cane on the ground and started to chant. Noir's eyes widened. He knew what she was going to do. "No!...Not that!...Anything but that!" he thought anxiously.

Suddenly, his bell started to glow. Noir felt like he was choking. He felt like his body was on fire. He trembled as he felt severe pain spread throughout his body.

Soon, he was writhing and screaming in pain and agony. "Noir!" yelled Annette. "Hand over the sword, or the torture will continue!" Mother Goose said.

It was such a pathetic scene that Annette and Emily couldn't bear to watch. Finally, Annette can stand it no longer. Anger welled up in her chest. "Stop it! Leave him alone!!!" she cried as she raised her sword and ran towards Mother Goose.

Mother Goose stopped chanting and transformed into a giant raven. Annette swung the sword at her but missed. Noir stopped writhing and gasped for air. Annette kept swinging her sword at the raven, but kept missing.

The raven chuckled. "Foolish girl. Do you honestly believe you can defeat me? No one can stop me!" she cackled.

Annette swung the Rose Sword at Mother Goose. Mother Goose transformed back and used her cane to block her blow. "You're a very strong, brave young lady. It's such a pity to waste such a young, confident, beautiful girl like you."

Annette glared at her. "Ha! That's real funny. Coming from an old hag like you!" She pushed her away and lunged at her. But Mother Goose was too quick for her.

Immediately, she turned into dark mist. Annette's sword struck the ground. The dark mist swept past her and formed into Mother Goose.

"You're just wasting your own time. How could an ordinary girl like you possibly defeat a powerful witch like me?" said Mother Goose in a taunting tone. Annette froze.

"She's right. What can I do? I'm not a witch. I don't have any magic powers. I'm just an ordinary high school student." she thought.

"Don't heed that old hag! She's lying to you!" yelled Noir. "Ignore him. What does he know about you? Why would he choose you as his mistress? A powerless, pathetic, common girl like you?"

Annette bowed her head in shame. "Why did he choose me as his lady and mistress?" she thought. "I don't have anything to give him. It's my fault he suffered under Mother Goose's grip. I'm just making a fool of myself."

"Maybe if I give Mother Goose the sword, maybe then she'll spare Noir..." She suddenly felt embarrassed. "What on Earth are you talking about, you stupid idiot?" she scolded herself mentally.

"Even if you give Mother Goose the Rose Sword, that won't solve anything! She'll hurt him even more. No, I'll hurt him even more."

Mother Goose approached her. "Hand over the Rose Sword, dearie, and I promise you, all your troubles and bad, nasty thoughts will be over." she said in a false sugary-sweet voice.

"No, Lady Annette! Don't give that wretched crone the Rose Sword!" said Noir.

"Silence, you filthy cat!" Mother Goose hissed at Noir. She stretched her hand towards Annette. "Come on, girlie." Annette narrowed her eyes. "I won't let her!" she thought. Courage ran through her. She gripped the sword hilt.

She slapped Mother Goose's hand away. "Forget it, Granny!" she said boldly. "I'm not planning on giving you my sword anytime!" Mother Goose glared at her. "Enough games!" She transformed into a giant raven once more. Before anyone can react, she swiftly snatched Noir in her talons and carried him high in the sky! "Noir, no!" screamed Annette.

She flew into the air, stopped and screeched, "If you won't hand over the Rose Sword by tomorrow night, this pathetic feline's life will be doomed!" With that, she flew off, cackling. Annette watched helplessly as they disappeared into the darkness.

The dark clouds disappeared, leaving Annette, Hoots and Emily alone.