Part Five

My eyes flutter open to see Lex looking down upon me. Mercy is there too, but she is looking at Lex. I try to sit up, but the pain in my head prevents me from doing so. 

"Mary? Are you up, Mary?" Mr. Luthor asks and reaches down to tuck a piece of my dark hair behind my ear. I nod weakly and try to get up once more. I succeed in doing so. 

"I'm sorry Mr. Luthor." I say under my breathe and start to play with the ring on my pointer finger.  The pain in my head is somewhat fading. 

"Call me Lex, Mary and it's absolutely fine. You'll be okay. At least you didn't leave, right? Then how would I helped you?" Lex hushes and takes a seat next to me. His blue eyes flicker. 

"Thank you, Lex." I reply blushing while remembering what had happened within the last twenty minutes. Lex hands me two pills. 

"Its aspirin. It should help with the headache. Based on your age and size I think two will do." Lex says dropping the pills into my hand and handing me a glass of water that Mercy gave him. I place the pills on my tongue and wash them down with water. A wave of sleepiness washes over me. I rub my eyes and hear Mercy walk out of the room. 

"Mary, this weekend we'll be having a party. I am inviting all of my employees and I expect you to be one of many who show up." Lex says staring ahead, but not necessarily at anything. "You may take the rest of the day off if you please, Miss. Gately." I pause before replying. 

"No, its fine. I'll just finish the day. I don't mind." I stand up and walk towards a bookcase to organize alphabetically. Lex continues you watch me as I start the process. I feel him watching me and start to feel uneasy. 

~

My apartment is chilly compared to the warmth of Lex's office. I drop my coat and bag down on the floor not caring about being tidy. Then lock the door behind me. My head feels a lot better, but my mind is still racing. 

Well, you really blew your first day, huh? 

I sigh and fall back on my couch.