Special Ones Prologue&Chapter 1

Prologue

If you are reading this it will be by your own will. When you read this, it will open your eyes to another world. You will know things that only the special ones are supposed to know. I'm writing this because I know I won't live long enough to tell this story to my generation or to the world. My name is Stella Lee; I live in a small island called Castling Moon. I'm a sixteen year-old girl so you can imagine that right now my life is going through the process of maturity, plus I have some "special traits".

All of my life has been based on dreams. Dreams have been with us for countless generations, and they will stay with us till the end of time. Why is that? Because dreams have the power to evoke our deepest emotions, to bare our most secret desires and fears, and all the while they enchant us, frighten us, but, most often, bemuse us. In other words, dreams enrich our lives.

Everyone has dreams; dreams about finding the love of their life, of finding the perfect job, dreams on buying materialistic things. But my dreams are realistic. Let me explain it to you. We are a different type of humans.

Chapter 1

Star

Who are we? My family and me? I don't know if you have heard of us. We are the dreamers. When we have dreams or nightmares, they come true. It's like seeing the future. Not everyone in my family is a dreamer. Even I don't know exactly how many of us are really dreamers. Some of us are scared of our own powers, others are scared that they will get killed by the Giudice (which means "the ones that make justice" in Italian). They think that the ones that have special traits like me are not just for the world. They will kill anyone that has special traits. Nobody knows who they are, that's why we shouldn't tell our powers to anyone. Not even our own family or friends. I have only told my grandmother Lula, and the Fountain. The fountain is a group of teenagers just like me, special. The only one I know in my family that is a dreamer like me, is my grandmother Lula, my uncle Dave, and my cousin Mary, but they don't have the same powers as I do, they can only see the future in their dreams. Bad news is that Lula had a nightmare last week. She dreamt that my little sister was my own age and she warned her that I was going to die in two winters. The worst part is that Ryan is going to be the one who kills me. Ryan, the one person whom I love more in my life, is the one who is going to kill me.

"No!" I yelled waking up. Ever since Lula told me about her nightmare, I keep having my own of how would I die.

"Honey, what happened?" Asked my overprotective mother as she came in the room.

"Nothing, I just had a nightmare." I felt like a little kid whining.

"It's ok honey, it was just a dream. Now get back to sleep, tomorrow is going to be a long day."

If she only knew...that I'm a dreamer. She doesn't even know that other type of humans exist. Only some of dad's family members know and my friends from the Fountain.

"I think it was your bird food." I joked trying to forget what I just saw. Ever since my sister was diagnosed with diabetes mom has a strict diet for all the family. But let's just say she's not a great chef and likes to mingle all the healthy ingredients she can get.

"Hey! I'm trying to raise a healthy family." Said mom laughing on her way out of my room.

That's the good thing about her, she doesn't take my jokes personally; completely different from my dad. Every time I make a joke around him, he gives me a that's-not-funny-young-lady look. I trust my mother more than my father. It's not that he's a bad person; it's just that he disappeared when I was six years old and reappeared when I was fifteen. He said he didn't remember what happened to him. I know he's trying to win my trust and have a good daughter-father relationship, but it's too hard for me to open up to him. He only knows that I'm a dreamer because Grandmother Lula told him.