Need Some Space

Sutton only saw a flash of the large, modern home she'd been taken to

 Sutton only saw a flash of the large, modern home she'd been taken to. It was all glass and wood and sharp geometrical shapes, seeming to rise out of the ground instead of being built there. Alice stopped running and the interior came into focus. It too was sleek and modern. Everything was sharp corners and straight edges, softened by a natural color palette and well placed throw pillows. Alice sat her down on a long leather couch and stepped back to join the group.

Sutton felt like she was on display.

The living room was filled to what looked like capacity. Even the Quileute boys had packed into the room without any protest or complaint. Nothing was right in this scenario. Nothing felt like how the books and movies played out. Why had they all gathered around her? How had they known she existed in the first place?
"We could...feel you."

Sutton's gaze snapped to the copper-haired Edward as he spoke. He was handsome, with a chiseled jaw and wide eyes, but it wasn't enough to put her in a stupor. She'd met too many characters already for that. He had answered a question that she hadn't voiced aloud and Sutton's eyes thinned.

"I can only really catch bits and pieces," he explained. "But your expressions say enough on their own."

That probably meant she should be a bit more careful, a bit more guarded, but she was too exhausted to make the effort. Sutton sighed.

"Right."

Her nose itched and she wiggled it quickly while rubbing at it with the back of her hand only to come away with dried flakes of blood. She tensed instinctively and raised only her eyes to see the response from the room. No one shifted; there were no growls of warning. Sutton was confused but she tried not to let it show. Her hand was still frozen in front of her face as if any more movement would trigger an attack.

Bella was actually the one to step forward. She brushed back a strand of her dark brown hair and placed a tentative hand on Sutton's shoulder.

"They -uh- they won't hurt you. It's old blood anyways. Besides, that'd be, like, a rude way to say thank you."

Thank you for what? Sutton could feel a buildup of frustration and confusion growing in her chest. Why did everything have to be so mysterious? The people around her were fuzzy in her vision at best and her stomach ached. She couldn't remember the last time she'd slept or eaten. There wasn't space in her brain for this.

Edward shifted his stance, Sutton wasn't sure if his lips were even blurrier than his body due to her vision or his own actions. Esme perked up.

"Let me fix you something to eat, dear," she said. "You must be starving."

Sutton's expression flatlined to an unreadable blankness. First they could, what, sense her? And now Edward could consistently 'sort of' read her mind; like Snape, like Loki?

Could she not have any sort of privacy? For just a moment? She didn't want him to be able to have such an intimate insight into her. He'd be able to know the things she wanted to hide away.