Chapter Five-Cold Feelings

Start from the beginning

My head was pressed against his chest. His heart was beating so fast.

"Raven just texted me...wants to know how close we are..." my ears perked up at the sound of Faye's voice.

"Tell her we're stopping for the night....we're like four hours away." He replied. Raphael's voice floated, like a dream. My ears perked up at the stillness of my surroundings. I could hear branches and leaves whishing in the wind.

"Yeah...where are we, even?" she queried, kind of amused. Raphael sputtered a laugh.

"Not a motel for sure." He retorted, but his voice flew high, whispered in with the wind. I decided it was time for me to stop playing games. Sucking in a breath, I pretended I was just waking up.

"Raphael...hey...where are we?" I muttered, voice coming out embarrassingly groggy. He chuckled and froze, before letting me down softly on my feet. My vision was a bit dizzy as I collected myself, certain I saw two Fayes. I gasped, holding onto his strong arms. My fingers were vibrating with some sort of electricity.

"We're far away from Worchester heights." He breathed, and I looked up into his eyes; they were glowing with the twilight. Faye's boots made a crunching noise as she drew closer to us, her curls rustling with the breeze. My eyes landed on the trees scattered around us; we were far away from civilization it seemed.

"We're not quite at wolvenpraire yet." Faye said with a smirk. My eyes widened as I encompassed my surroundings.

"Where the hell are we then? In fact I don't wanna know." I sputtered, finally taking my hands off Raphael. He and Faye shared a knowing glance. Dusting my hands on the back of jeans I gave them a questioning stare but didn't push it.

The car seemed to be parked a few ways off.

"We're going to camp here for the night." Raphael said darkly. Grasshoppers whistled in the distance. Surprise glinted across my features as I stared up at him.

"Yeah, okay...where?" I asked in confusion. Throwing her hood over her head, Faye came to stand beside me.

"Up there." My eyes followed her line of direction, jaw dropping as I saw the mountain-top peaking in the distance, adrift with the clouds it seemed. I glanced back at her with a scoff.

"You're not serious..." I gasped. She nodded.

"It's a faster way to Wolvenpraire. Don't worry about the car-it's a rental."

"We're throwing the vampires off our track." Raphael said. I followed them as they moved swiftly through the darkening forest; not entirely sure where we were going. My shoes crunched loudly on the gravel beneath me. God damn, they were so tall and fast.

"Yeah okay...I guess that makes sense. How did you guys know they were on our tail?"

"They aren't...but we would be able to smell them pretty well."

"So...this is all just a precaution?" I asked. Faye smirked.

"An evasive tactic. ...so to speak. "

I was only wearing a thin blue sweater. Goose-bumps seemed permanently imprinted on my arms, the further we walked. I was so cold I was afraid I was going to turn into an icicle; but I didn't dare voice my complaints as we walked; Faye and Raphael didn't seem at all bothered by the cold, clothing fluttering loosely around them.

The trees and forest scenery nestled into one big blur the further we walked. The sunlight had dipped lowly behind the mountain and we surrounded by a purple haze. The mist ruffled the hairs at the back of my neck. I shivered at the cool feeling, like feathers whispering along my ear. Finally we came to a pause at the beginnings of a small green stream. Birds whistled high in the trees, and the silky water floated downwards over rocks and pebbles. Faye turned to me, hair flipping as her...whoa. Faye's eyes were a glowing orange-hazel. She looked like an ethereal being.