eighteen

i woke up to see sara sleeping soundly next to me and i rubbed my eyes, forgetting i had makeup on. i groaned quietly at the fact that i had most likely smudged it, although i have had it on for hours so it probably didn't look very good anyway. 

i shifted around, struggling to get comfortable in my shorts and shirt from yesterday. i gave up and felt i needed a shower anyway. i left sara sleeping and got up from the bed, walking in to her bathroom for a shower. i managed to turn on the water, even though i wasn't familiar with her faucets. 

i kicked off my clothes and stepped in, adjusting to the warm feeling of the water rushing over me. i was not in the mood at all to sort out my thoughts, and i knew if i sat in the shower for a long time that would happen eventually. i finished up hastily, then got out and dried off. 

i sighed at my bad mood. it felt like ever since i met sam i just wake up already in a bad mood. already feeling drained and negative, and i hated it. that's what fuckboys do to you i guess.

i was not about to put my dirty clothes from yesterday back on, so i walked back in to sara's room with the towel wrapped tightly around my body. 

i tried to avoid my hair dripping on the floor as i walked to her closet for clothes. i'm sure she wouldn't mind me borrowing some sweats and a shirt, and underwear too. i'm just grateful we wear the same size in most of our clothes. 

i closed her closet door behind me and began looking. i heard some rustling around outside and then a tired voice mumble, "penelope?" "i'm in here." i announced. i heard her groan and her footsteps pad outside of the room. i found the clothes i needed and put them on, then came back outside. 

i figured she was in the kitchen since all i ever saw her do was eat. i walked to the kitchen and confirmed my thoughts, watching her with amusement as she searched the cabinets. 

"any luck there?" i asked making her jump slightly. she chuckled along with me and closed the cabinet door. "no." she said sadly. "let's just go to ihop or something." i suggested. "good idea." she said. she walked to the bathroom and i followed her since i had nothing else to do. 

i watched as she brushed out her hair and washed her face, then slipped on her shoes. i slipped on mine as well, and we were out the door, both in our pajamas. 

we pulled up to the pancake house and walked inside, sitting at the booth the polite hostess lead us to. i scanned over my menu even though i already knew what i was getting. i predicted that my entire day would consist of trying to distract myself from my own thoughts. 

"what are you gonna get?" she asked. i breathed out a chuckle from my nose at her question. "you already know." i replied, making her laugh slightly too. "yeah, i just thought i'd ask anyway." we had already done this multiple times, coming to ihop in our pajamas and both getting pancakes. it felt like our little thing and i liked it like that. it felt kind of special, even though it wasn't very unique or crazy. 

the waitress came over and took our order and we sat in a comfortable silence on our phones. i slouched down in my seat slightly as the restaurant got busier, hoping nobody would notice me. i felt panic surge through me as i remembered sam and the music video, but it was only for a moment until i remembered he paused filming for a week. 

i was annoyed that he did that but now i'm actually a bit grateful since i can do whatever i want for the next week. i sighed, locking my phone as i ran out of things to do on it. sara took that as a sign to get off her phone as well and place it on the table. we stared at each other blankly for a while, boring into each other's faces. 

it wasn't because we were angry or anything, we just kind of sat there with nothing else to do until our food came. i lightly kicked her foot under the table and she kicked back. we played with each other's feet under the table while giggling at each other, and our food arrived. 

we thanked the waitress and began digging in. "so.." sara began. i fluttered my eyes shut and sighed quietly, knowing that when she started a sentence like that, she was probably going to talk about something serious. 

"you and sam. i'm confused." she said. "i don't really want to talk about it." i said, frowning slightly. she nodded knowingly and i felt a little bad turning her down like that so i continued the conversation, trying to lighten it up. "how are you and what's-his-name?" i asked, referring to the boy she had recently been crushing on. 

"josh. and we're really good, he proposed last night." she joked, putting her fingers in front of my face as if there was a ring on one. "oh my god, it's beautiful!" i played along, studying her bare fingers. we both pulled back laughing and she kept talking. 

"no, i mean, i might talk to him sometime soon." she said. although sara was very confident and an extroverted, party-girl type, she was actually quite shy when it came to guys. guys she was actually interested in having a relationship with, at least. 

"you've seen each other like a billion times and you haven't even talked yet?" i asked slightly baffled. "we just look at each other whenever i go to the little coffee shop, but he seems even more shy than me. i don't want to scare him off." she said, shrugging her shoulders. 

"by talking to him?" i snorted. "oh shut up." she said kicking my leg under the table. i just smiled at her while she talked about how she admired the innocent barista boy in the quiet little coffee shop. i tried my best to stay focused on her while my mind desperately tried to drift to sam. i refused to think about it all and listened to my best friend while we ate our pancakes in peace.

hey guys, short little filler chapter. sorry it's a bit boring, hope you liked it anyway lmao.