Chapter 7

Nothing had changed a lot in my second year. 

Shinra still loved staying in the laboratory.

 Izaya still doing something with his 'friends' behind my back, 

and I was still doing it like usual. Sometimes I was with Shinra, sometimes I was with Izaya, and sometimes I was with my classmates. Thanks to Izaya with his busy time,  I had to befriend most of my classmates and be able to restrain my weakness in interacting. I think I had no problem again with people.

But at that time, I kinda prefer more to be alone while taking a random photo. It was a period when I started to learn deeper about my new hobby which was photography. Random strangers strolling around the school, wildflowers around the schoolyard, small animals like a bird or a cat, and a landscape view from the rooftop. 

There was one time I was taking a photo of white Chrysanthemum flowers just outside of the first-floor corridor on the schoolyard when suddenly someone tapped my shoulders. I turned my head around, nearly dropped my phone for being surprised.

"Izaya-kun, what are you doing here?" I asked, "You're not with your friends?"

"I just want to see you. And they're not my friend." He emphasized his tone in the second sentence. Izaya then peeked at my photo object. "Isn't it uncomfortable to take a photo with your phone?"

I glanced at my flip phone. "As long as it has a camera feature, it's fine for me. The real professional camera is too expensive."

"Is that so? You can take a part-time job next year, though." Izaya suggested.

"Thanks for the advice." I smiled. But, even if I had to take a job, I still couldn't afford the camera. It was way too expensive at that time. Besides, Mum wouldn't allow me to have one if it wasn't for club activity or school tasks. 

Suddenly Izaya's phone rang. He immediately took it. "Hello? Ah, Nakura. What is it? .... Hm? You need my help?" Izaya chuckled as he shook his head. "Silly, you can't even deal with such a situation. I'm a little bit busy now but... since you're begging me, I'll accept. I'll be in there."

Apparently, Izaya had an urging business somewhere. He closed his phone. "I have to go, Keiko-chan. See you."

I watched his left and disappeared from my sight. I didn't know what was he doing. He looked busier than last year. I wasn't lying when I wished he had more time to spend with me.

On lunch break, I had to eat alone because Shinra preferred to stay in the laboratory - which I couldn't bring my food in there -  while Izaya's whereabouts were still unknown. He skipped his class again according to Shinra. After I bought a piece of melon bread from the canteen, I walked to the rooftop and decided to eat there since the canteen was too crowded. As I sat nearby the wire fence, I bit the unpacked bread and chewed it into my mouth. I continued the same routine until I noticed a presence beside me. Was it Izaya?

"Hi." Okay... I didn't recognize this voice. "You're Asagao Keiko, right?"

I turned my head and scanned the boy beside me. He seemed familiar but I didn't know him. "Who?"

"I'm Yuu, Orihara's friend." He smiled. "I sure you've heard of baseball bets that he made."

"Ah! You're one of it?" Now that I'm thinking, I probably looked too calm when talking about a bet. It was supposed to be a controversial and discreet topic yet I didn't mind mentioning it in front of a stranger.

He nodded. "Orihara-kun always mentioned your name. You seem close to him."

"Ah, that's because I'm his best friend," I grinned, happy to show off my friendship, "But I never thought he would mention my name to them."