Death & Magic chapter 26

Chapter 26

Adramal’s voice deserted her. Running seemed the best option, but Marik would surely strike her with a spell before she could get out of range.

Marik came closer. “Well?”

“Forgive me, Mas-Most Holy,” she croaked. Her throat seemed to be full of sand. “I was just about to leave the city.”

He scowled. “That wasn’t what I asked.” He snatched the slate Tagahra had given her. “What does this say?”

“I... I don’t know, Most Holy.”

“Horseshit,” said Marik.

A tall watchman approached from the far end of the stable. “Greetings, Most Holy. May I be of assistance?”

“What does this say?” asked Marik, thrusting the slate at him.

The man studied the slate as if it was a puzzle. “It’s an order for the Duty Sergeant of the stables, Most Holy — that’s me — from Captain Tagahra. He wants me to detail a rider to take the bearer, named as Karil, to the village of Darund-Kerak.”

Adramal tensed. But if Marik thought it odd that she’d changed her name since he last saw her, he gave no sign of it.

To Adramal, Marik said, “When did you join the Watch?”

“I... I didn’t.” At least, she thought she hadn’t. Tagahra hadn’t said anything about it. Wouldn’t there have been some sort of ceremony? At the very least, an oath to swear?

Marik turned to the Duty Sergeant. “Then why is your Captain telling you to carry this woman around at the citizens’ expense?”

“I don’t know, Most Holy. Officers don’t explain the reasons for their orders.”

Marik asked Adramal, “Why does Tagahra want you taken to that ghastly place?”

She swallowed and licked her lips. “I don’t believe I’m allowed to tell you.”

Marik stepped back, blinking in surprise. “You ought to know better than to try my patience, wizard.”

Now the Duty Sergeant looked surprised. “You’re a wizard? Forgive me, Lady — I had no idea.” He bowed clumsily.

“Go and find your Captain,” Marik snapped. “I want to get to the bottom of this.”

The Duty Sergeant read the slate again, following the words with his finger, as though wanting to be sure of every detail. “Forgive me, Most Holy. It would be improper to keep the lady waiting. And it would be a serious breach of discipline for me to be untimely in obeying an order.”

For a moment, Marik stared at him, and Adramal feared the priest would use his magic against the man. Then he gave a dismissive wave of his hand. “Enough! It’s not as if I have nothing better to do.” He stomped up the staircase that led to the rest of the building.

Once Marik was out of sight, the Duty Sergeant whispered, “I’m sorry about that, Lady. I don’t mind priests normally, but that fellow was External Inquisition.” He said the last two words as though he wanted to spit afterwards.

She shuddered at the memories. “I know. I’ve met him before. He said he never wanted to see me again, and the feeling’s entirely mutual.”

The journey out of the city was much less nerve-wracking than the one in. She asked the rider to leave her a mile outside the village; she didn’t fancy explaining to the villagers why the Watch were bringing her here.

She passed only a few people on the road. She guessed some were at Celebration in the city, the rest working in the fields. A glance at the sun told her it was an hour after noon — three hours later than she’d expected to arrive. She hoped there wouldn’t be too much work for her.