Baby Potential

Draco was smirking from ear to ear when he finally made it inside the Ministry of Magic with Blaise huffing behind him. His friend was cursing the circus of journalists and photographers that huddled outside of the building waiting for any opportunity to catch a person of interest.

Blaise himself had been hounded by the media when the war had ended and his trial was broadcast nationwide (as compared to the other boring Death Eater convictions happening left and right). The media could not get enough of the boy whose mother had been charged and then pardoned for the murder of five Pureblood men, three of which had been known Death Eaters. Two of those murders Blaise had been present for, making him the main witness called to stand before the Wizengamot. The public speculated for weeks if Blaise would betray his mother by revealing the truth of her crime or remain loyal. Of course, when the trial came, he lied about the circumstances in which his mother had committed five accounts of murder; he claimed they had all been in self-defense, seeing as they were Blood Traitors after Mrs. Zabini forced them into hiding when the Dark Lord had demanded for her only son to be given to his cause. What the public had deemed a downright lie ended up pardoning Mrs. Zabini, but only a handful close to the Zabinis knew the truth—to an extent, of course. Blaise had been put into hiding, Mrs. Zabini had killed three Death Eaters to protect her son, but the other two victims had been murdered for the wealth their wife would inherit after their passing. Blaise never spoke of his time in solitude while the war raged above ground, and Draco never asked. After all, there were horrors from both ends that were better kept a secret.

From what he kept to himself stemmed Blaise's idea of joining the Department of Magical Law Enforcement. When Draco and Theodore Nott laughed at the absurdity, assuming it had been a joke told over drinks (because they were in full-swing of their rebellion), all Blaise had said of the matter was that he'd finally be paying his dues. None of his friends expected the spoiled boy to pass Auror training, but he did. Nor did they ever expect him to breach the inner circles of the Light Side as a trusted equal.

"You went out with the German Minister's daughter last week?" asked Blaise with a furrow between his brows as he and Draco made way into the Ministry.

"Caught that from the journalists, did you?"

"I got that from Daphne, actually. She was writing a piece about the Minister's daughter and pictures of you two on a yacht surfaced."

"It was a friendly visit between citizens of two great countries."

Blaise let out a loud laugh. "Spoken like a true politician. I'll get an election slip from Shacklebolt if you're thinking about running next term."

Draco rolled his eyes. "The public might love to keep up with my every move, Blaise, but no one would ever vote for a convicted Death Eater to be in their Ministry council."

A clapping echoed off the emerald-tiled corridor Draco and Blaise were about to part ways in. There, in true fashion of the thing that most irked Draco Malfoy, was the Golden Trio (Weasley's stupid, freckled face constantly close to winning first spot).

"Well, at least you got that bit right. Former Death Eaters might be good for entertainment, but not for improving our world," said Weasley, dropping his hands back to his sides. "You also forgot that you need to work to run for council. Your father can't buy you a seat, nor can you sleep your way to the top."

Draco could feel his extreme dislike for the redhead tosser building in his chest, but settled it in one deep breath (it would not do him any good if he killed Ron Weasley with witnesses around). "You know who slept their way to the top, Weaselbee? Pansy. And by the top I mean on top of me. You know, because I used to screw your fiancee."