“Okay, but I was getting ready to show Jennifer around. Can it wait?”

He shook his head. “It was an order. He told me not to come back without you. I’ll arrange for Leland to keep her company until you’re available.”

Well if I couldn’t show her around, I’d want Leland to do it. She’d like him. He was a very easy going, fun person; just her type. I wonder if they would have hooked up if they met under different circumstances.

Jennifer looked at me with a smile and nodded her in assurance that she would be fine and sent me on my way. I was a bit frustrated that Kieran and to pull me away a one of the most inconvenient times, but it could be important so I pushed away my annoyance and agreed to not let it bother me.

At the office door I met Wyatt walking out wearing the same annoying features mirroring how I had been previously feeling. He closed the door behind him just as I was about to enter.

“Be careful in there,” he joked, but I could hear the slight warning mixed in his tone.

“It can’t be that bad. You’re the big, bad beta Wyatt. Surely he couldn’t have gotten to you,” I teased not being able to keep the silly grin off my face.

“Alpha Mode,” he said making me instantly understand.

I nodded but frowned. He seemed alright during the meeting. I mean he was all business, but he didn’t seem upset or uptight about anything. What could have changed so soon?

“Got it. Well, I’ll be on guard.”

Placing my hand on the door handle Wyatt placed his on top of mine stopping me. “He’s a little high-strung. Just make it easy on yourself and just agree with him.”

His smile made me smile. “I will. Jeez. Calm down, will you? It’s just Kieran.”

His smile dropped taking his hand back and nodded. “Oh it’s him alright.” Then in a creepy sing song back he said, “He’s back.”

I raised an eyebrow at him. “Back?”

“Yes,” he confirmed. “The Kieran I know. Good luck.”

He offered me a light smile before turning on his heel and walking away, leaving me at the door to fend for myself. For a moment I thought over possible escape options and finding him when he was a little more himself…or less himself I guess I should say. After all, I guess I didn’t really know him as well as I’d though. Wyatt knew him very well though.

All thoughts were brought to a sudden stop when the door came open almost dragging me to the floor with my hand still firmly clasped around the handle. Kieran wrapped his arms around me pulling me back against his chest before I could hit the ground.

“Thanks,” I muttered steadying my breath.

His breathing was heaving, his chest moving rapidly against my back. I turned in his arms to face him. I gasped when his dark, almost black, eyes stared back at me.

“It took you long enough,” he said eerily clam for his breathing. 

“I stopped to talk to Wyatt at the door. What’s wrong? Jennifer and I were about to tour the grounds and then get some furniture for her room.”

He release one of his arms around me and reached out to close the door, giving us some privacy, then wrapped it tightly back around me again.

“I sent Wyatt to show her around. She’ll be fine.”

I backed up from our closeness and gazed into the dark depths he watched me with. “Yeah, except she doesn’t know them very well.”

“Now is as good a time as any. They’re her pack now too.”