two

k e n d a l l

   i'm awoken by a knocking on my window. i start to walk to the window, taking my braids out. i open the curtain to see weston.
   i unlock and open the window, letting him in. when he's inside, he gives me a hug and plants a soft kiss upon my lips.
   "you should start getting ready for school." he implies, pointing to the clock, which reads 7:45.
   "shit." i groan, i gather my clothes and walk to the bathroom. i slide my pajamas off and slip on a white lace romper, and a jean jacket. i walk back out and into my room.
peering over at the clock, i see it's 7:50. i quickly curl my hair and apply mascara. i then slide on my birkenstocks and grab my phone.
"ready?" weston asks, flipping his keys on his finger. i jump.
"i forgot you were here." i chuckle, grabbing my book bag, "yeah i'm ready."
we walk down the stairs, say goodbye to my mom, and head out to weston's jeep.
weston walks in front of me and opens the passenger door, allowing me to sit. i smile, "you're just quite the gentleman aren't you?"
"i guess you could say so." he smirks, taking a seat. he puts one hand on the wheel, and the other within mine.
he starts the vehicle and smiles at me, "you look beautiful, like always." he says, i blush. thirty seconds of him just staring at me goes by, then he turns his head to drive. i then pull out my phone, and check my notifications.

unknown number
you need to leave weston before he
hurts you.

i decide to keep quiet, obviously whoever this is doesn't know weston like i do. weston would hurt me. or at least i hope.
i look over at weston, he looks very concentrated. my thoughts get interrupted by a ding from my phone.

kalani
YOU NEED TO GET HERE NOW.

me
what? why? is anyone hurt?

kalani
idk if he's hurt, just hurry

"weston we need to hurry." i demand, starting to get worried.
"what? why? i was thinking we could ditch the meetup this morning and just drive around." he whines.
"no, somebody's hurt. i don't know who but somebody is. we need to go." i say intensely. weston nods and drives through a shortcut. anywhere from three to five minutes later, we reach the school. i quickly get out of the car and run to where we meet up. weston following me.
"kendall! it's johnny." kalani says, "he's in the hospital."
"what? do you know why?" i ask, at this point i'm scared. johnny has been through a lot, he constantly gets abused by his family. he's tried committing suicide a few times. but i'm the only one who knows.
"i'm not sure, he's in room 404 at the pittsburgh er though, ditch?" kalani implies. i nod my head.
"of course." i reply. we both start running towards weston's jeep.
"weston, we need to go to the hospital, now." kalani says, demandingly. weston then hops back in the jeep, along with kalani and i.
"well, at least we get to drive around like i wanted." weston says, with a big smile across his face. he starts the jeep and drives.

"can we see a patient? johnny orlando, his mom said he's in room 404." kalani hesitantly asks the nurse. the nurse nods, and escorts us to the room.
i walk in first, seeing johnny's body laid across the blue bed. we take more steps, until we're up close.
"look, he has a cut above his eyebrow." kalani points out. we examine his face more. a bruise on his left eye, and another cut on his bottom lip.
"what the hell happened?" weston wonders, "who would do this to johnny? he wouldn't ever harm anyone, he's so quiet and nice. i just don't get it."
i swallow a lump in my throat, "i know."

after school, weston drops me off at my house. johnny is out of the hospital and back at home, or at least that's what my mom said. she's a nurse at the pittsburgh er, she would know if he's checked out or not.
i open the front door and remove my shoes, "i'm home."
i walk into the living room and see johnny sitting on the couch, my mom in the chair across.
"uh, i thought you said johnny went home?" i ask, confused.
"he is home." she replies with a smile. i look over at johnny, who looks beat up, but still has a smile upon his face. that's one thing i loved about him, he would always smile through the pain.
"wait, what?"
"is it alright if i tell her what happened?" my mom asks johnny, he nods. "well, his parents were constantly abusing him, verbally and well, physically. last night, if the neighbors didn't call the cops, he could've been beaten to death. the cops pulled him from his home and told him to get the things he cares about, because he wouldn't be going back there. i decided to take custody of him, since you know him well."
"wait, so he lives here now?" i ask, still confused about the situation. i didn't think it was that easy to take custody of a teenager.
"yeah, he has the spare bedroom." she replies, smiling.
"okay, well. welcome to the family."

"mind if i come in?" i ask, peering into johnny's room.
"yeah, you can come in." he says, putting his phone down. i slowly walk in and sit on the end of his bed.
"i'm so grateful that your family saved me." he says, staring off into the distance.
"saved you?"
"kendall, you don't understand. you've always had a perfect life. so has everyone else in the group. my life has always been shitty. i just felt like nothing." he says, choking up.
"johnny, you're not nothing. you're an amazing friend, and you mean a lot to me. thanks for putting up with the group and i, we can get pretty obnoxious." i laugh. he smiles.
"no problem, and thanks. i have hope for a better life now that i'm here."
i smile and stand up, "goodnight."
"night."

-

aw cute. remember to vote please thanks ily
-zoe