Walking through the door, you saw a ginger girl folding a few shirts and singing the lyrics of the song quietly to herself. She hadn't seen you yet, and you brainstormed for a way to introduce yourself without scaring her or being awkward. Before you could think of something, she turned around and squealed a bit at the sight of you.

Turning off her music, she sighed, "You scared the crap out of me."

"Sorry," you said a bit guiltily, "I'm not the best at first impressions."

She chuckled before looking up at me with intense green eyes to match her wispy, red hair, sticking out her hand, "My name is Jean, Jean Grey. What's yours?"

"My name's (Y/N) (Y/L/N)," you smiled and took her hand, briefly shaking it, "I like your music. You don't need to turn it off. Feel free to sing as well, doesn't bother me."

"Oh, thanks, but I was just using the music to occupy my mind while I unpack," Jean said, offering a small smile, "Now, I can get to know you instead."

"What powers do you have? I have telepathy and I'm going to be tested for telekinesis soon."
"I can control motion," you began, opening your suitcase, "I can accelerate things, I can stop things, but only if I'm really focused on the things I'm controlling."

"Wait, really?" Jean replied, looking back in awe, "That's probably the coolest power I've found out about so far."

As you unpacked, you found out various other things about Jean, such as that it's her first year here as well, even though she's known Professor Xavier a long time, and that she is from New York. You spent the entire day either talking to Jean, walking around the grounds with her, or listening to music with her. By the end of the day, you caught her eyes drooping a bit and decided to bring her back to her room to sleep.

You had tried to sleep also, but to no avail. You couldn't stop thinking about classes tomorrow. You hadn't seen Peter around either, and you had checked around for him quite a bit. What if he had left you there? What if he wasn't accepted? Or worse, what if he had already found new friends and completely forgot about you? Your head ached with all the hypotheticals and soon it was too much for you to handle. You elected to find someplace quiet, maybe so you could cry, or calm down, or both.

After pulling on your shoes and a leather jacket, you peeked out from your door. Seeing nothing potentially dangerous, you cautiously stepped out from your room and started walking. After walking for a bit, you found yourself near a kitchen. Peering around the corner, you saw Peter talking to a girl with brown eyes and black hair in pigtails. He laughed a little, probably at something she said, and then heard your quiet breaths from the hallway. Peter turned around, realizing you were there, and smiled, beginning to move towards you

Blinking back tears, you froze him, and the girl. You quickly made your way down the stairs and out into the cold, midnight air. Not enough distance, you thought to yourself, as you began to wipe away the saltwater that the wind was threatening to release from your eyes. You kept walking and thought more about Peter and how he blew you off on your first day so that he could talk to someone else. He was your best friend, but apparently that didn't mean much. Eventually, you found yourself deep in the woods and collapsed under the weight of what you had seen. Clenching the mossy earth between your fingers, you choked out a whimper and lost focus completely, inhaling desperately for air between sobs.

After a minute, a flash of silver caught your eye. Lifting your head, you saw Peter standing there. He looked like he was on the verge of tears from worry, but not quite crying yet. His silver hair flew in all directions as he rushed to your side and moved you to sit against a nearby oak tree.

"Hey, hey, what's wrong?" Peter whispered, stroking your hair and putting his silver jacket over your own leather jacket.

"You-" you stuttered between gasps for air, "You left me alone."

"Hey, (Y/N), I'm right here," He muttered, "I'll always be here to annoy you, you know that."

"W-where w-were you, today?" you managed to ask him.

"The professor told me it was best to let you settle in, try to meet my new roommate, and unpack before classes tomorrow. I did check on you though. You were with the redhead. Looked like you two were getting along well," Peter explained too quick for anyone but you to understand, "but back on topic, I just thought it would be best to let you alone. I was only in the kitchen with Jubilee because we were both looking for food. You don't know how long it took to find you, I searched the entire school and almost the entire woods before finding you here. I'm glad I did though."

Before Peter could say anything else, you reached around his neck and nestled yourself there, closing your eyes in content. Unknown to you, he reddened a bit before mouthing 'nice' and putting his arm around you as well. You could sit there leaning against that tree for ages, watching empires rise and fall like the sun in the sky, but for now, just laying there against his shoulder was enough.