New Kid

It happened when I was only ten years, five moths, three days, fifteen hours, and thirty-two minutes old. And if I counted correctly, twenty-five seconds. I've made that calculation many times throughout the years. Time and time again, as an escape-goat to, or from the memory.

"Jake, are you okay?" Asked one of the people around me, it was Rin. She had blond hair colored red and tied in a ponytail, her long bangs covered her right eye, leaving only one brown eye to look at the world. She dressed casually, a purple v-neck shirt, blue jeans and black converses.

"Yeah." I muttered with a smile, looking at her with confident green eyes. She smiled back satisfied and believing my act. I tried not to sigh. The people around me continued talking and laughing at each other like the great friends they were, I joined them forcefully to blend in. They always believed my laughter, they always thought I was okay, I let them believe my lies whole heart-idly, while always hoping that someone would notice and always hoping I could be left alone as well. Our group walked into school and as usual, I left them to go to my locker. Once I got there, I put my acting skills to good use; I pretended I needed something from it, in fear that they would realize that I had lied to them.

After a safe amount of time, I went to the library, where only quite and studious students went, either to read or study. I, on the other hand, came in there and sat in the farthest corner, away from any sign of human life forms, to hide. It was my makeshift haven, since my real one was a mile away from school.

I soon went to class, ten minutes before the first bell, so I wouldn't be noticed getting in the classroom. I never liked being the center of attention; it also always allowed me to finish the math problems on the board or study. In this case, I was solving the math equation. I finished it in twenty seconds, five seconds more than my previous problem, seven sooner than the one before that.

"Mr. Blackwell, since you're already finished with the problem, I would like to ask a favor of you." Mr. Hein said calmly as he relocated his glasses from the tip to the bridge of his nose, allowing the lenses to once more cover his light brown eyes. I stood up and walked over to his desk, expecting him to hand me a stack of papers to hand out to the students, or something along those lines. "Here" He gave me a slip instead. "There's a new student, I'd like for you to show him around." He said looking at me.

"B-but, aren't there aids for that?" I tried not to murmur, but it wasn't a surprise that I failed completely. I shifted my weight from one foot to another, to try and calm down my tensed muscles.

"The two are busy being sick." He sighed, I sighed with him.

"And why not someone else from a different class? Or from this class?" I asked in hopes that he would change his mind. I wasn't nervous about talking to someone, or showing them to school. I was nervous about having to lie and pretend to yet another person. People often befriended me since I was easy going, occasionally starting conversations or asking for my opinions or even for help. Some people also considered me a close friend, and I don't want to let them down, I don't even deserve any friends. I don't want to add yet another person to my charade of lies.

"He's going to be in this homeroom, pre-calc, and he's a tenth grader just like you. Wouldn't it be better if the first person he met were in his homeroom and in his grade level? Also, you're my brightest student, you can miss a week of school and still ace four tests with perfect scores in under an hour." His praise brought a blush to my pale face. He was obviously exaggerating to get me to go willingly, but I nodded anyway. "Atta boy!" Mr. Hein grinned as I took the pass. "Take your stuff with you." I did as he said.

Entering the office awkwardly, I saw a staff member waiting for me. "Jake?" Asked the blonde. I nodded and gave her my slip. She smiled and took me into another room to see Mrs. Rozard, an administrator. I already felt claustrophobic in many levels. Not only was her office space cramped with many items and souvenirs she's been collecting, but also there was almost no space for a person to be inside of it either. Some people might call this "cozy; I am not one of these people.