Life Leaves Scars

Chapter 2

Toby quickly ran out of breath. Hands on his knees, and breathing heavily as he waited at the corner he had told Cabe to pick him up at. After about a minute or so of waiting, the girl from earlier came speeding down the alleyway on her skateboard, watching nervously behind her, as she skated towards him. Toby braced himself for impact, squeezing his eyes closed, as she fell straight into him. Knocking him to the ground, flat on his back, while she landed on his chest, the skateboard skidding in the opposite direction.

"Well hi there" He jokes breathlessly, from the wind being knocked out of him. He smiles at the frightened girl sprawled across his chest. She scrambled up and off him. Gathering her belongings that fell out her backpack, as best she could with one arm, and was about to bolt back down the alley again. Toby grabbed onto her wrist and pulled her so she was trapped behind his back. She fought against him, but he kept a firm grip on her wrist. Tightening his hold while she struggled, but being careful of the scrape on her arm. Soon the two goons chasing her, came from around the corner. They paused for a moment and looked at Toby and Sage. They started yelling at each other again, in a language she would guess as Dutch, as they sprinted towards them. Sage saw Toby glance at the ground towards a broken pipe laying near his foot then back up at the goons. He was mumbling something to himself, and kept looking down at the pipe on the ground. She could see the nervous glint in his eyes, along with the sweat running down his forehead and forming in his palm around her wrist. Sage tried one last desperate attempt to slip away, but Toby held a firm hold of her behind him, it was beginning to become painful for her arm to struggle against him. A car's screeching tires could be heard in the distance, as the two men were almost on top of them. At the last possible second, Toby let go of her arm, and kicked the loose pipe against the wall, bouncing it up and into his hand. He bashed one of the two goons in the head, then quickly doing the same to the other. Knocking both of them to the ground. Large goose-eggs already forming on their temples as they fell backwards, onto the cement. Their chests lifted and fell from their rhythmic breathing assuring Toby the men lived. Toby dropped the pipe beside him and had the most giddy expression on his face.

"I can't believe I just did that" he mumbled triumphantly to himself, staring at the two men lying on the cement in front of him with a large grin. Sage stood wide eyed staring at the man that just saved her hide. Forgetting about her effort to get away for a moment, ignoring the pain coming from her bleeding arm and throbbing ankle. A few feet away from them, a car door slammed and a very angry woman, known as Happy jumped out and yelled at Toby while marching towards them. Her combat boots making loud clomping sound as she stomped towards them.

"Tobias M. Curtis! What the heck do you think you were doing?!" her brows angled downwards in annoyance, accompanied by a frown. Grabbing the sides of his face, and pulling him to her level, while checking for any injuries. Holding his face between her two small hands.

"I was just doing this little lady a favor is all" Toby replied, gesturing to Sage, with a smug look on his face. While Sage just grimaced at his nickname. Which Toby subtly took note of, while he gently pulled his face out of Happy's grasp. Happy looked over at Sage, while lowering her hands from his face, then she looked at the two guys, sprawled out on the ground. Then finally looking back at Toby with an expression of pure disbelief. Much like the one he had on his face earlier.

"You?..." she asked, eyebrows raised in doubt. She didn't even bother to finish her thought, she was very confused. Toby smirked and nodded, bending down to pick up the pipe on the ground he had used to hit the two trouble makers with, and showed it off to Happy. Happy spun on her heels, walking back to the SUV and climbed in silently. Sitting in her seat, and crossing her arms while looking stubbornly out the window. Everyone looked at Toby expectantly, waiting for him to get in the SUV, so they can head back to the garage, and finish up with the case, using the information they've already gathered. Instead he walked up to Sage. Who was still re-gathering her things and stuffing them back in her backpack. She must not have zipped it up all the way earlier. She grabbed the skateboard that had rolled away during the encounter, and was about to run off again, until Toby called her out.