Chapter 1

It was a wet autumnal evening at the end of September.
Trees and fields were passing us by at an alarming rate as rain hit the windows of the car with force.
Chloe was driving at around 50 miles per hour down the country lanes and I must admit I was quite scared.

I turned to her and asked "Must you drive like Sterling Moss?"

"Who? Anyway we only have under an hour left to get to Jades house. If we get there late we're going to miss the fun!"

We were on our way to our friend's house in the town of Dorchester for a housewarming party and they'd invited us to stay with them for a week. Recently Jade had married her childhood sweetheart Andrew, and they'd both bought their very first house together situated on the outskirts of the beautiful British countryside.

"You do realise you're running out of petrol?" I asked Chloe as we passed a thick forest.

We had been travelling in her car for almost two hours and the journey became boring as dusk fell.

"Yeah I did notice that, we must find a petrol station around here soon otherwise we're screwed."

I checked the map and we still had another hour or so to go before we reached our destination.
We wound along curved lanes and over treacherous roads until we finally found a desolate small village, about half way through the car made a loud beeping sound.

"Just our luck! I'm going to pull in here and we can ring Jade to let her know we will be late." She stopped the car and parked it outside a large detached house.
"Let's just hope we don't get in trouble for parking here."

When she got her phone from the glove compartment she noticed there was no signal. I checked my phone too and had the same problem. It was coming up to eight o'clock and the village looked deserted; there would be no shops open that would have a phone that we could use at this time.

"Let's see if we can find a B&B or hotel to stay the night. I don't fancy sleeping in the car because the last time I did that I woke up with back ache."

"Sure, let's go and look around. We can call Jade using their phone and let her know we are going to be late. She won't mind if we get there tomorrow."

I turned away from the car and set off in the direction of what looked like the centre of the village where a large stone statue stood. There was a strange acrid smell that seemed to follow us as we went.

Front cover designed by AuthorClarke

Please vote for each chapter! 🌟