Aurora

Weeks had gone by since anybody had seen prince Phillip or princess Rapunzle. There seemed to be no news. Except the day when they found his dead body. It was described having a bloodied stab wound in his backside. Somehow I knew, I just knew, Rapunzle was also gone, but no one else felt it, no one else felt the missing piece. 

5 months later

Today, I had gotten news that Prince Carman was going to marry soon-to-be-princess Jeanne. People were celebrating.  Villages were doused with purple silk and ribbon.  Massive bonfires erupted from pits of stone, carved with the royal crest.  Gold banners were draped over doorways enlivening homes and establishments.  Little girls pranced around in cream and pastel colored dresses. Jeanne showed off her soon to be status. Her silk gowns of deep colors flowed like molten metal, almost entrancing the eyes of the beholders. Her hair was decked with ribbons and almost every available patch of skin was covered by jewelry except her head. I would never wear it, but Jeanne loved it, she never stopped smiling.

The wedding was in two days. I had been invited to stay at the palace as an early wedding guest, so I got to view the hustle and bustle of the castle preparations.  In order to go, I had to bring a few guards.  I personally requested James, I wanted to get him to smile, and there was something he wasn't telling me. 

"Hello James," I greeted him with a smile as I opened my door.  I got a better look at James and saw he was about my age.  His black hair was at a moderate length, perfectly in between buzz cut and overgrown, which made his hazel eyes and perfect lashes pop. 

"Hello, your majesty," he avoided eye contact with me, instead focusing on the door frame, and the knob, and his hands. 

"You can call me Aurora," I smiled, hoping to get one back.  No beans, not even a quarter smile. 

"I would like to go for a walk in the courtyard," I said.

"Right this way," he held out his arm and lead me through the halls filled with gold, white, and purple. 

"It's beautiful.  I hope the wedding goes perfectly," I said, hoping to stir up conversation.

"It's nice... I remember when I was 11, about 7 years ago, and we were celebrating the queen's birthday in the village.  It was one of the happiest days, and the last year I spent at home with my family before I turned 12 and was drafted into the palace," He glanced at me. 

"Sorry," I said, now being the one avoiding eye contact.

"It's all right, it got my family the money they needed, and they treat me well here at the palace," he strode so stiffly. 

"You've been away from home for six years, did you get visits to your family?" I asked.

"One visit for Christmas and Christmas Eve, and the other visit my birthday," he said. 

"Only three days a year! That is barbaric!" I announced, turning to face him. 

"I have a job and a family to look after," James shrugged. 

"Wait, you're not married are you?" I said, my ears feeling a little hot.  I got a funny feeling in my stomach. 

"No, no! I just have a large family.  I've told you all this before... Before you fell asleep, and you forgot," he awkwardly stated.  I felt relieved... About him not being married, not about my memory being barren.