Christmas at St Mungos

Start from the beginning

We landed in a dirty side alley. I took a deep breath to steady my nerves. Severus gave my hand a squeeze then pulled me forward. We walked in silence as we joined the hustle and bustle of London. I clung to Severus as I negotiated my way through the muggles. Some were carrying armfuls of presents, obviously going to visit family. "Merry Christmas!" cried a young man as he gave me a huge grin. I smiled back, "merry Christmas" I called. I looked up at Severus. He walked with his head held high, a stern look etched on his face. Not surprisingly, people were making an effort to avoid going near him. So it didn't take as long to make our way to our destination. As I was mostly raised by my muggle grandmother, I had never been to St Mungos hospital therefore, I had no idea what it looked like or what to expect. So when he came to a halt outside a condemned department store called 'Purge and Dowse ltd' I looked up at him uncertainly. "Umm" I began but Severus ignored me. Instead he approached a battered and torn shop mannequin. "We're here to see Eileen Snape." he muttered to the mannequin through the glass. I glanced over my shoulder at the muggles carrying on with their own business. Without warning, he pulled me forward and we walked through the dirty window. As I stumbled after him I was greeted by a huge open atrium. It was tiled from floor to ceiling with brilliant white marble. I felt my jaw drop as I took in the pristine interior of St Mungos. All around me people were bustling about. A couple of witches wearing line green robes swept past us, both were deep in conversation. "Healers." Severus muttered in my ear. I watched them enter an elevator at the far end of the atrium. I glanced over at a huge sign which listed all the floors, but Severus pulled me along before I could read it properly. We headed to the elevator where the two Healers had just disappeared into. Severus jabbed the level four button. It was only us in the elevator car. I chewed on my lip nervously. I couldn't believe I was minutes away from meeting his mother. I gave his hand a squeeze. He looked down at me and forced a smile. He looked so anxious. "It will be okay" I whispered as I reached up and wrapped my arms around his neck. He didn't reply, he inclined his head slightly, as if to say 'we'll see'. I gave a little sigh before pressing my lips to his. He responded reluctantly, as if he was trying very, very hard to reign himself in. "It will be okay" I breathed as I pressed myself firmly against his body. His eyes flashed dangerously and before I knew it, he had me pined against the mirrored wall. His kisses were hard and urgent. I groaned loudly as he ran his hand up my thigh which I had hooked over his hip. Oh how I wished time could have stood still. The elevator was coming to a halt, so I very slowly lowered my leg and pushed him away. He kissed me one last time before the doors opened on the first floor. An elderly couple hobbled into the elevator with us, before the doors slid shut once more. We all stood in awkward silence. My heart was still galloping in my chest. It was pounding so hard I felt sure that everyone could hear it. I snuggled into Severus. He pulled me tightly to his side. After stopping briefly on the second floor and then the third floor, where a stern looking woman entered the elevator, we were on our way to the fourth floor. I felt my heart jolt as the car shuddered to a stop, the gleaming doors opened up once more. Severus and I clambered out and made our way slowly down the forth floor. A sign on the wall indicated that this was where the patients go who have suffered spell damage. My heels clicked across the polished marble floor. I looked up at the ceiling where large orbs containing floating candles, were enchanted to glow a festive red and green. Wards were branching off to the left and right. I looked down one ward to my right and could have sworn I saw a middle age wizard wearing nothing but his pants clucking like a chicken. I decided to walk a bit closer to Severus as we continued down the corridor. At last we reached a door that was locked. I read "Janus Thickey Ward" long term residents. Severus rang a buzzer to the side of the locked doors. Almost at once a silver haired witch popped her head over the window. "Name." She barked through the door. "Severus Snape and Phoenix Knight" he answered curtly. "Who are you here to see?" She continued as she eyed us suspiciously. "Eileen Snape" Severus replied. There were several loud clicks as the multiple locks began to unlock themselves. Severus ushered me through the doors. "Sign yourselves in please. " said the witch as she thrust a quill and book into my hands. I did as she instructed and handed it to Severus, who did the same. The witch, whose name badge read 'Belinda' snatched the book back. "Hold still please she snapped as she produced a long, thin golden rod and proceeded to run it over my body. "Is this really necessary? " I asked but I immediately regretted it after seeing the look that crossed her face. She drew herself up to her fullest height. "This ward is full of high risk patients. I do NOT want any harm to come to these people. Not on my watch." Her nostrils flared and two angry red blotches appeared on her cheeks. I felt my own cheeks flush with embarrassment. Severus, who seemed to find my altercation with the nurse highly amusing was smirking behind her back.
"She should stick that probe where the sun doesn't shine, maybe that will wipe that smirk off your face!" I hissed angrily into his ear as we made our way down the ward. Severus shook his head, a smile still clinging to his beautiful face. The first thing that struck me as we walked through the Janus Thickey Ward, was how very quiet it was. I could feel the suffocating silence pressing down on me. I glanced over to my left and saw a peculiarly dressed elderly woman with her arm around a boy, who looked so sad. They were stood at the foot of two beds, the beds contained a youngish man and woman. I looked closely at the face of the woman, and shuddered. It was evident that the lights were on, but there was no one home. She gazed off into space, her mouth slightly agape. I felt my heart go out to the two figures standing vigil over their beds. I dropped my eyes to study the floor. I wasn't sure if I could handle this. This entire place felt like a tomb of sorrow and despair. But then I glanced up at the man by my side. I had to do this. I had to be strong, because he needs me to be strong. I straightened my back and threw back my shoulders. I was ready. Severus came to a halt at the end of the ward, then I saw her. She was sat in a chair staring at the wall. "Mother" Severus whispered. She didn't react immediately so Severus took a tentative step forward. "Mother, it's me Severus" he continued. Very slowly she turned to face him. Severus looked alot like his mother. They had the same dark brown eyes and shared the same curved nose. Her hair must have been the same shade at some stage, but it had now turned into a dazzling white. I could see her face contort with the effort of trying to remember the man standing in front of her. Then, as if the jigsaw pieces of her fragile memories clicked into place, her face broke into a toothy grin. "Severus" she croaked. Her hands shook as she reached for him. "Merry Christmas mother" he said softly as he gave her a peck on the cheek before sitting down on the edge of her bed. She nodded her head. "You're Fathers just left" she added as she adjusted the blanket on her lap. My eyes flew to Severus, who twitched involuntarily. "Oh" was all he could manage. I fiddled with my dress. "Who is this?" asked Eileen as she nodded in my direction. I hitched up my smile. "This is Phoenix mother, she's a colleague of mine from Hogwarts, and she's my girlfriend." I gave a small wave as I crept forward. "It's so lovely to meet you Eileen." I added. Her sharp eyes watched me closely. "Well take a seat girl, there's no point standing about." I raised an eyebrow at Severus as I plonked myself down on the bed next to him. It wasn't as awkward as I thought it would be. Severus and his mother would make idol conversation, I would chip in from time to time. However there where periods where Eileen would just stare off into space for minutes at a time, before coming back to reality. Everytime she would ask who we were. I could see that Severus was starting to struggle. "Maybe we should think about making a move" I whispered to him, whilst Eileen sat gazing across the Ward. Severus nodded slowly. "Mother we need to be making a move now." he said as he gently placed his hand over hers. Her face snapped down to look at the hand, then she let out an ear piercing scream.
"NOOOOO!!! Don't you dare hurt him, not my baby! Hit me! Hit meeee!!" she shrieked at the top of her voice. Her eyes had grown wide with terror, she was taking urgent rasping breaths. Severus and I leapt back in shock.
"OUT OF THE WAY!" yelled nurse Belinda as she barreled down the Ward. I couldn't take my eyes away from Eileen. Severus grabbed me round the waist and pulled me away. "There's nothing we can do." He muttered as he kept walking. I reluctantly followed him as the terrified screams of Eileen Snape rang through the Ward.