Another day

I wake up to the sound of birds chirping outside my window, sitting up I groan, god I feel awful! My face feels sticky and my eyes puffy. Slowly I slide my legs out of bed and walk over to grab my fluffy dressing gown off its hook. A feeling of dread hits me-- do I want to go downstairs or maybe I should just stay in bed all day-- no, I can't hide myself away I was planning on going down town with my bestest. Shuffling myself along the hall and down the stairs I am praying I can get to the kitchen unnoticed. I catch my reflection in the large art nouveau mirror that hangs in the downstairs hall. Mascara streaks my face and as I guessed my eyes look like they have been in a punch up ! A detour to the bathroom is needed. Once my face is cleaned and refreshed I make my way to the kitchen. Still no sign of anyone but I can hear the slight whirr of a Hoover - the cleaning staff must be tidying up last nights mess.

Pouring myself a glass of milk I hear someone enter the kitchen I turn round to see Maggie our cleaner come cook come nanny (?).

"Morning toots, did you have fun last night?" She asked in a thick Irish accent.

" Yeah it was ok" she obviously has no idea what happened and I don't want to enlighten her.

" Do you want me to bring you some breakfast into the dining room? Your dad's in there reading the paper."

" I'm alright actually Maggie, I'm not that hungry. Thanks though -- oh Maggie have you seen a little clutch bag lying about?"

I must have dropped my bag last night somewhere and my phone was inside, I felt naked without it.

" No dear sorry, but then I've been keeping clear of the cleaning staff so haven't been in the main room."

" I'll go look" I shout to her as I leave the kitchen.

To get to the main room I would have to pass the dining room so I decide to enter the back way via the garden. Slipping out I tiptoe over the gravel the stones digging into my feet through my slippers and jump onto the lawn, my slippers now soaked through from the morning dew, I trundle round to the patio doors.

Both doors were wide open and a flurry of cleaners were polishing, washing, clearing and spraying. I stepped in.

" Excuse me miss I've just cleaned this floor!" A rosy cheeked overweight women chastised me.

I turn to see a trail of wet grass behind me.

" Oh! sorry, I didn't mean... I'll take them off".

Holding my slippers in my hand I look around for my bag, my bare feet sticking to the damp floor.

" Has anyone seen a small bag lying about?" I ask to anyone who cares to listen. No response.

Argh where is it??

The study !! I must have dropped it in there! Did I have it there? My mind forgets but it's worth a look.

I run towards the stairs past the dining room not looking in as I zoom past . I slow my pace once up the stairs and make my way to the study.

Opening the door I have a flashback from the previous night and I shudder. I enter, my father is sitting at his desk his eyes transfixed to the computer screen in front of him.

" Morning!" His head not moving an inch.

I ignore him, I want him to suffer as I did.

"Oh silent treatment is it? See how long you can keep that up for when you need something."

Pretending he is not there and that I haven't heard a word he has spoke, I scan my eyes over the polished wood floor, it's not here....

Without a word I leave the study and plod back to my room. I hear my room phone ringing halfway down the hall running I just manage to catch it.