Chapter 21: I Would Rather Be Sacrificed Than Be Civil To That A$$hat

Start from the beginning

-TIME SKIP-

Continuous. Have you ever wanted to block out everything so much that you eventually space out? To everyone else around you, you look crazy. Ever since I showed up at the grill, I got a drink, and I haven't taken a single sip. I've just been swirling my straw clockwise around my glass, round and round and round...a bit like a broken record.

I know it's dark out, I know Damon's sitting at the bar, I know John's sitting at a table a few over from mine and looking at me in confusion...I hate that I know this. I hate that I can't block this out and become numb to everyone's idiotic behavior, I hate that I'm human...

But I have to be human, and that sucks! When Katherine explained the extent of being a doppelganger, the extent of what I'd have to risk for Santa Klaus, she made me promise...she made me promise on anything I cared for that I'd stay human for as long as I could. I begged her to turn me, begged her to give me her blood and snap my neck so we could travel together forever...

But I can't, she said no. I'm forced to be human, forced to follow through with the grand scheme to kill me because she knew that I wanted to turn so I could turn it off. I remember feeling completely broken after my Mom and Dad died, I didn't want to feel and Katherine said that wasn't an option. I have to deal with it, I have to learn because if I become a vampire there's bound to be people I'll lose, there's bound to be thousands of reasons to flip the switch, and she won't let me go there.

So when this is all over, when I survive this sacrifice she promised to turn me, promised to show me everything, promised to stop me from giving up on humanity. Because even though Katherine seems like the world's most heartless b!**h. She's my sister, she cares for me, and we would do anything for each other. The only thing that would stop me from wanting to continue living would be if she or Elena died---if the other half of me died. Anyone else's death would shatter me into a million pieces, but if I lost either of them...I know I could never, pull myself back together...

My phone's buzzing dragged me from my spiraling mood and continuous act of stirring my drink with my straw, pulling it out and clicking on a text from Stefan I saw a fact that stopped my breath for a second:

'Jules has Caroline and want's Tyler in exchange for her, tonight'

Looking up I watched Damon walk away from that news reporter that Jenna knows, I stood and walked towards him. "We need to talk" was all I said, he noticed the serious tone and allowed me to direct him to the ladies room.

"What's wrong?" he asked once I checked that the coast was clear.

"Caroline's been kidnapped by Jules, and we can only get her back if we give her Tyler" I explained.

"Why does she want Tyler?" he frowned.

"Because he may or may not have activated his werewolf gene by killing some chick?" I scratched the insides of my wrists sheepishly.

"Why am I just finding out about this now?" he paced slightly.

"Elena was worried that you--" he cut me off.

"That I would what, that I would kill him?" I nodded. "Of course. That's what needs to happen."

"No, Damon, not Tyler. I need you to get Caroline back, do whatever you need to do to get Caroline back, but just leave Tyler out of it, ok?" I pleaded.