V

Pic of (Nigerian) pepper soup above and below---
***

It was eight thirty pm on Thursday, and two men were sitting on the couch with a tray holding a medium sized bowl balanced on their legs. It has been three days since he got stood up and two days since he got the flowers, said flowers he used to decorate the house and he couldn’t be blamed really. They were so pretty, and they smelt divine. Matty had asked him about it with an excited expression on his face because he felt Eddie was finally going out there, he believed Eddie was no longer stuck in the cave of broken hearts.

In the bowl resting on their thighs was an African dish that Matty had been working on, he said it was called Catfish pepper soup, and by god, it was so tasty and spicy that sweat trickled down the side of Eddie’s face.

Eddie took another spoon, a bead of sweat falling down the side of his face. “This is so good. What did you put in this?” Eddie asked, taking another spoon of the delicacy.

“Local spices. I found the recipe online, and it said that Nigerians always made it hot, the hotter it is, the better, and here we are...” Matty said, shrugging and trying his best not to swallow too quickly or he’d regret it.

“I like it. You guys should add it to your menu.”

“I’ll think about it and then talk to Reno. Has anyone contacted you yet?” Matty asked, placing a spoon full of catfish into his mouth and chewing. The bowl was already very close to being empty.

“No. I haven’t heard a peep from my boss, and I somehow don’t expect to because he doesn’t have my number or address.” Eddie said as he took his last spoonful. He had finally told Matty about his almost lunch meeting with his boss. Matty had told him to stop calling it a date because none of they were actually sure it was one.

"But he does have your address though. Your application form had everything, including your number." Matty said after a few seconds.

"He can only use those for work related issues."

"Maybe it was a lunch date afterall."

"Yeah. Maybe."

Eddie threw his spoon into the bowl and placed it on the center table before leaning back against the chair, relaxing.

He chuckled when Matty let out a loud burp and cuddled into his side. Eddie wrapped an arm around Matty’s shoulder and brought him closer. “What of the flower guy, has he contacted you yet?”

Eddie shook his head and reached for the remote that was on his other side. He flipped through Netflix until he found something to watch, that something being Scorpion, his eyes widened when he sees the second season, how could he have missed that.

“We’ll find someone right? We’re not going to be alone forever, right Eddie?” Matty asked, voice so soft, that it almost sounded like a whisper.