The Office of the CEO

Disclaimer: I don't mean any disrespect to African or African-American girls. Everything mentioned here is completely fictional - for the purpose of this story.

Kesha looked at the offer letter in her hands and a huge smile spread across her face.

"Finally!" She screamed, jumping into the air in excitement.

Kesha was an international student, who had been trying to get a place for her internship for the past two months. Everywhere she went was either 'fully booked', or 'not hiring temps and interns' at the moment.

It had been a frustrating two months but she was grateful to the stars for finally giving her a place to start.

There was a lot to be done to get ready for her first day at work. The offer letter said she had to resume on the 4th, which was just two days away!

She couldn't complain. She would have been happy to resume that day if they had asked her to. Anything to get her off her unemployed and broke status was welcome at that point.

She went shopping for a few gowns, two black red-bottom heels, new makeup, and hair products. By the time she got back from the mall, she was exhausted. Her plan was to hit the showers and go straight to bed but an email arrived just as she got out of the shower.

"We apologize for the inconveniences this might cause, but one of our temps just got under the weather. You are expected to replace him tomorrow at 8 am."

Kesha read the email one more time. She thanked the stars for not waiting till the next day to go shopping. That would have been a disaster.

When morning came, she showered and flattened her hair out. She spent another twenty minutes on makeup, before slipping on her white blouse and navy blue skirt. She paired the look with her black red-bottom heels, and rolled her black hair into a bun on top her head.

She decided to keep it classy and professional. She didn't want anything too complicated or overly simple. She wanted to make a good impression since it was her first day.

After one last glance in the mirror, she picked her handbag up and exited her apartment.

She arrived at the reception of Lloyd and Baker, one of the biggest fashion houses in the state.

"Welcome to Lloyd and Baker, interns. We're pleased to have you. Please take a look at your designated officer and I will lead you to their office." A smart looking receptionist addressed the group of new employees.

Kesha looked at the list the receptionist provided, and saw the designated officer beside her name - The office of the CEO.

Everyone called out their designated officer's name, and when it was Kesha's turn, she called hers with a raised eyebrow, thinking it was some sort of mistake.

"This way." The receptionist smiled.

Kesha followed her silently into the elevator, and watched her press the button 18 for the eighteenth floor. She stood nervously as the elevator glided upwards and got even more nervous when the doors opened at their destination.

"Good morning, Mr. Lloyd, Mr. Baker..." The receptionist greeted the two men in the office with a smile.

"Morning, Rosa." They replied.

"Here's the intern assigned to your office. Her name is Kesha." The receptionist stated.  "Kesha, meet Lloyd and Baker Ross. They run this organization - if you haven't figured that out already."

The two men laughed.

"Go easy on her, Rosa." Baker Ross remarked, turning back to his computer screen.