Chapter 20

Finnick's POV

   We all decided to celebrate our last day of freedom by going to the beach. Katniss and Gale said that they used to go to the beach all the time when they were little, and they loved it. Katniss got a sad look in her eyes when she talked about it, but I've decided I won't pressure her into talking about something that obviously makes her sad.

   We all piled into 2 cars, mine and Peeta's. My car is a teal Jeep, and his is a sunset orange convertible. We both got our cars for our 16th birthdays. Peeta's dad had to pretend that Peeta won his car in a contest, because Mrs. Mellark would be furious to know that Mr. Mellark spent $60,000 on a new car for Peeta. Even though they can definitely afford it, seeing as they have the most successful bakery in Panem, and even though Mr. Mellark bought Peeta's brothers cars on their 16th birthdays, Mrs. Mellark has taken a disliking to Peeta.

   Okay, that's an understatement. She hates him. She despises him. She detests him. All because she wanted a girl and got Peeta instead. But who cares that he's not a girl! A mother should love her child no matter what; no matter their gender, sexuality, health problems, whatever. A mother should be there for her child, and always show them love and care.

   The mother Peeta got is not the one he deserves. He deserves a mother who would hold him while he cried, sing to him when he was falling asleep, and not act embarrassed of him whenever their family went out. Instead he got a mother who punishes him over the smallest mistakes, and abuses him both physically and emotionally by hitting him all the time and screaming insults at him.

   I don't know why Mr. Mellark married this woman, let alone is still married to her. Mr. Mellark is the kindest, selfless, funniest, and most thoughtful man I've ever met. He's the best dad to Peeta.

   Mrs. Mellark is a little different. By that I mean she makes Peeta's life a living hell. When we were younger it used to really get to him. But now he's used to it. And it crushes me. He shouldn't be used to it. It shouldn't be happening. But it is.

   There have been so many times when I told Peeta that I would call the police if this kept happening, but every time he's begged me not to. He says it would break his father's heart to see his wife behind bars. I guess that makes sense...sort of.

   If I were Peeta's dad, I'd have that she devil out of my house the moment she laid a hand on my son. But for some reason, even though she's done terrible things to Peeta, Mr. Mellark still is married to her. Maybe he thinks that someday she'll change. Maybe he's still in love with her. I don't know. I try not to stress about it too much. Peeta hates it when people stress or worry because of him. He says it stresses him out, and I want to respect that, because the last thing he needs is to be stressed or worried about something that isn't about his life at home.

   His two brothers make it better though. Well, when they're home at least. Peeta's brothers, Jake and Michael, are both older than him. Jake is 22, and Michael is 20, so they've both moved out and gone to college. But they go to college about an hour away from home, so they're able to visit often. I know they did that for Peeta, so they could be there for him. His brothers are great; they love him so much. They take care of him when their mother hits him, and they try their best to defend him when she starts yelling at him.

   Anyway, so that's Peeta's story I guess. It's sad, it makes me mad, but he's my best friend, and I'll respect his wishes. But the thing is, when it comes to his safety, I don't know how long I'll be able to turn a blind eye to all of this.

    What if something serious happens that lands him in the hospital? I'll feel guilty for the rest of my life for choosing friendship over Peeta's life. I love him so much; he's always been there for me. As much as it hurts to think about us not being best friends, I know that I would rather have him safe and unharmed but not be friends with me than him being seriously injured and me being the idiot best friend who didn't do anything to stop it.