Toy Box: Part Two

That man had been right, the toy box was an ocean. An ocean of death.

Their flesh had been weak, now they were one with the Earth and able to exist in peace.

Elly glanced down the mountain. It had turned into a cliff after a mudslide, which had happened after Huge rainstorms. Elly remembered the stories vividly.

This wasn't the best of places, it held a certain bloody air. Elly looked down, she knew why. The bones may have been white but they crashed into the side of the cliff like seafoam.

She had always been fond of that effect.

Still the death living in this place was acidic, it clung to skin and tangled hair.

Elly wasn't sure when her mother had gotten her first doll but it amounted to this. A sea of death and destruction.

She claimed they had to go, they were foolish enough to follow. The foolish died. Natural selection she claimed, their family was necessary.

Elly looked down at the book in her hand, small but thick. Worn. What had once been dark brown was now a pale tan. The remaining color came off in flakes.

Elly had found it in her mother's room. The first page had held her account of the day. Its date had almost surprised Elly, but she'd known her mother was special. She'd called herself changed. Elly was a changed too. She looked down at her arms, bit by bit she was changed.

The metal glinted in the sun.

~<>~

1879- winter, cold

We work for a higher cause. We must work forward to create a better future, those that survive the fall may be the changed. I survived the fall.

But it's not what I've done, that changed little; it's what I learned. I learned we are not confined to the human flesh we're born with. And soon I'll be able to give that change to everyone.

But for now it's 1889, a cold winter day.

Lizza

~<>~

Elly set the book down her metal covered fingertips tapping the desk. She missed that, feeling.

The grain of the wood under her fingers, the rough sandy texture grafting her smooth skin. She wasn't skin anymore.

Elly glanced at the book, it was still open.

But for now it's 1889, a cold winter day.

Her mother had changed so much, where she'd had prideful expectations as a child now she spoke of her life in a new way. Her mother had found a purpose and a meaning.