Chapter 7

*Dedicated to Luna89 for being the first to leave a comment! Thanks!! :D:D*

Chapter 7

It was almost impossible to accept just how easily time went on in the skinny boy house. Before I knew it, a week and a half passed. I was convinced that time moved faster when you were surrounded by people who shoved food down your throat, forced you to weigh daily, and then talk about why you were so very, very unhappy. 

There was nothing like being treated like cattle lined up to be fattened to bring out the best in you. 

I yawned, more out of annoyance than boredom, as the nurse who lived in the house with us wrote down my new weight in her chart that was labeled with the word process scribbled on the back in large black letters. The nurse was a tall, thin woman who had graying blonde hair that she kept in a tight bun plopped on the middle of her head. She once told me to call her Agatha, or something along those lines; it was hard for me to remember a name that I only heard once.

Nonetheless, Agatha, or whatever her dang name was, went through her usual routine. After she scribbled my weight down, she glanced down at me, barely meeting my eyes. “You’ve gained four pounds, Max. Congratulations.”

My stomach twisted in knots as I did my best to smile like her words were good news when in reality, all I wanted to do was fall to the floor in complete defeat. 

“You’ve improving so quickly,” she mumbled more to herself than me. “Really well, actually.” She almost sounded surprised.

I nodded as I pulled my oversized sweater over my head. “Thanks, I guess.”

Ignoring me, she went on, “I’ll make sure to report your results to Ruth. I’m sure she’ll be pleased.” The nurse yawned and lifted the watch on her wrist to her eyes. “On your way out, send Richard in. Please and thank you.” 

Blinking a few times to myself, I realized that Agatha dismissed me. I finished buttoning my pants on my way out. I’m sure the nurses attitude and general distance from everything around her would have bothered me if I had the capacity to think of anything other than the amount of weight I gained in such a short time.

When I opened the nurse’s door, Rich stood on the adjacent wall with an eyebrow raised. “How’d ya do?” He asked with a smile creeping on his lips.

I rolled my eyes. “None of your business.”

Rich laughed loudly as he pushed himself from the wall. “That bad, huh?”

Blowing out a breath, I nodded. “I thought I was doing a good job at not actually gaining weight. I mean, I knew it was going to happen, but I’ve only been gaining, like, a pound every two days.” I sighed. “I prepared myself for that, but I didn’t prepare to gain so much at one time.”

Rich put a hand on my shoulder, and for a split second, he held a sympathetic look in his eyes before he blinked it away. “I’m so glad I don’t have that problem,” he gleamed. 

I shrugged from his touch. Rich was the type of guy that you loved to hate, and, Oh, how I loved to hate him. Despite his attitude and general arrogance, there was something about Rich that captivated me. I felt like if he and I had met later in our lives, we would have been pretty good friends.

“Have fun gettin’ fat!”

Then, Rich would open his gaping hole that made me want to punch him in his stupid face. I narrowed my eyes at him as he practically skipped into the nurses office. I shot him a mental middle finger before I began back to my room.