The Desolation of Smaug

Start from the beginning

The morning had already come when Míriel and Legolas dismounted their horses for it had taken them ages to get to the other side of the lake. They had helped those they could, but since they were riding they had to take a detour over a bridge. Those who hadn't walked had swum all the way if they did not possess a boat.

Míriel started searching with her eyes for the Elf-maiden with flaming red hair or the short Dwarves that surely still had to be alive. Tauriel's hair would serve as a banner so it could not be hard to find them despite the number of people screaming and trying to find their loved ones.

"There!" Míriel said to Legolas and pointed toward Tauriel. They hurried toward her and to Míriel's joy, she could see the Dwarves starting to push a boat into the water. They were leaving to the mountain, finally being able to return to their home.

It was strange to think that Smaug would have left Thorin and the other's completely alone on the mountain, though. Were they even alive still? Perhaps Míriel had lost all of her companions during this night. It was her duty as a member of Thorin's company to get herself to the mountain and see for herself what had happened. To leave Legolas behind yet again, though, was something Míriel did not know how to do.

"There is no chance that you would ever go with me and the Dwarves to the mountain, I assume?" Míriel asked Legolas quietly before they even made themselves known to the Dwarves and Tauriel. She just wanted to know before she took a final decision.

"I told my father that I would return to the realm with you and Tauriel, within two days," Legolas said and sighed. "I cannot go with Dwarves to the mountain, you know how much my people despise them."

"Your people despise them, but do you?" Míriel asked him and glanced into his eyes. "You are your own person, Legolas."

"I am my people and my people are me," he mumbled and glanced away. "Though I owe Thorin Oakenshield my life and for that I am thankful. Most of all, I owe him that he brought you to me. I would hate it if you left me now, Míriel. I think both you and I know that I have grown very fond of you, and I would like it if you would want to return with me."

"I know you do," Míriel mumbled and sighed deeply. "But as much as I care for you I care for my friends. The decision is not easy."

Míriel knew that Fíli, Kíli, Bofur and Oín would return to the mountain and for some reason, she felt that Thorin and the other would be found unharmed. Thorin was clever and Bilbo even more so. They would have survived the dragon somehow, or perhaps it was just wishful thinking so that Míriel would not have to face what was awaiting her. One thing she knew for certain, though, and that was that leaving the Dwarves for Legolas would be the hardest thing she could ever do. They would despise her, at least Thorin would, but despite all this Míriel's heart told her that it was the right thing to do. This was where her adventures would end and perhaps one day Thorin would forgive her and let her visit them all again.

Legolas opened his mouth to call for Tauriel's name, but Míriel placed a finger on his lips quickly. She was speaking to Kíli and they were having a moment that Legolas shouldn't interrupt. Míriel and Legolas walked closer slowly, but of course, Tauriel heard them and tensed with her back toward them.

"My Lord Legolas," she said tensely, her voice failing her at the end.

"Take your leave of the Dwarf," Legolas said. "You are needed elsewhere."

Míriel stared at him and shook her head in disbelief. Legolas couldn't possibly ask Tauriel to leave Kíli behind, not now when he had confessed his love for her and asked her to come with him to Erebor. It was heartwarming to see the unlikely love they felt for each other. It was a love that no one should ever get in the way of.