Diagnosis

My heart dropped as I froze in fear after hearing those tiny three words that I never wanted to hear. "I-I have what?" I said with a fearful expression on my hopelessly pale face.

"You have cancer..." My mom said once again dropping my heart and hope even more.  It was only me and my mom for years. My dad was too diagnosed with a life threatening cancer. Sadly, though, my mom told me one day that he was diagnosed with cancer too late, but I knew that wasn't true... He died weeks later at the hospital. I remember holding his hands as a single tear dropped down my wrinkled and sad face. I remember me whispering the words "Please stay..." I remember him then telling me "Don't worry, honey. I am staying. In your heart I will stay." He smiled weakly as, once again, my eyes disposed of some tears. I remember him inhaling once more, closing his eyes, and never exhaling. I will never forget. And now, I'm being diagnosed with a cancer! "What kind of cancer?" I asked as my face went from a sad expression to a fearful expression.

"You have... Blood cancer." She said softly, knowing I would be devastated. I looked down and rubbed my now watery eyes. My eyes started to redden and burn as I continued to run them. It was the same cancer my dad was diagnosed with. It seems as if everything bad always happens to me and me only. "Honey..." She quietly said with an emotional look on her face. She walked over to the other side of the bed and sat down next to me, before bringing me into a warm and thoughtful embrace. "It's gonna be ok." She whispered to me as I cried.

"No It won't...  I won't. Dad wasn't. And dad was the strongest." She sat up, surprised, before saying

"What do you mean?" She asked.

"I mean dad was strong, I know you lied. He was diagnosed months before, wasn't he? I heard you talking about it in your bedroom! How come you lied to me? How come you told me months later he was gonna die from cancer?!" I shouted as a concerned look sparked on her face. She let go of the embrace and I started crying. "Why didn't you save him" I cried, then looked away.

"We, at the time, didn't have the affordable money to pay for his treatment. Of course now I got mon-"

"Why did you not tell me?" I said, interrupting her with an angry yet sad expression on my face, as I was still turned away from her.

"We didn't want you to worry." She stated, rethinking her every actions from the past.

"What's sad is that I would've spent more time with my dad if you would've told me earlier. I have almost nothing to say when someone asks about my dad. I have to lie about him. If you told me earlier I would've been hanging out with him more. But you didn't, and I got nearly 3 weeks to tell him how much I love him and hang out with him!" I cried in pain as I turned my head towards mom, Still crying. "Why... Didn't you tell me sooner?" I asked as stress overtook me.

She started crying with me then and there. "I'm sorry" she said trembling. She then continued crying with both pain and stress. She got up weakly and ran out of the room covering her face as her face showed a mixture of embarrassment, stress, and of course, sadness. I hated upsetting my mom. Ever since my dad died, she was the only one there for me. Of course, she worked. Every day when I got home, she wouldn't be home because of work. She got a job as a store manager. She owns a store called Carla's Beauty, Carla being her name. She didn't get much from it, but enough to keep me in school and in a house. Of course the house is small and warn down, but I appreciate it.

I sat on the bed thinking to myself as tears fell down my pale cheek. To me, the fact that two weeks ago I was perfectly fine didn't seem realistic. But deep down I knew it was true, doctors are usually right. Just why me? Why did it happen to me? If dad was still here, he would know what to do. He knew everything. But he's gone. And will never be coming back. Long gone.

My mom, minutes later, came in to get me and take me home. Once they started treatments and stuff, I knew I wouldn't be able to leave the hospital much. We sat in silence on the way home. Not saying one single word to each other. I looked out the window and watched the city flash by me. From trees, to cars, to buildings. Before I knew it, the car had pulled into our tiny garage, after mom of course opened it. I opened the car door, and stepped out of the car door. I closed the car door, then walked over to the wooden front door my mother was unlocking. Click. The door opened, leading to a messy and warn out house I call home. It wasn't much, but it's all I really had. I walked inside, followed by my mom, who closed the door behind her. I walked straight to my room, which was in the attic. The house itself was small and only had one bedroom, but we made use of it. My mom ended up paying some extra cash to get the situation fixed. Of course, we knew ahead of time what the house was gonna be like, and we didn't like the fact that it only had one bedroom to it. But, ever since the death of my father, we lost a lot of cash. He got more money then the both of us. But we didn't live in much of a better house. But it had all the needed bedrooms for us. Ever since he died, his job was took over by someone unknown, and we went into a struggle trying to keep the house we once called home. Eventually we had to give it up and get something affordable. Which, as mentioned, wasn't much. Anyways I reached up, grabbing the tiny string that was set up on the attic trap door. I pulled the strong, opening the dusty and messy attic. The ladder unfolded with the attic trap door. And I climbed up. Of course we had to get rid of some stuff to afford a room upstairs. For example the pink stuff you would find in an attic. It would've caused itchiness to me if we hadn't had done anything. One other thing we had to do was get a wooden floor for me to be on. In attics, it's hard to get around, especially this one. It wasn't like any other type of attic. Once I got into my room, I turned off the light and the fan. I walked over to my bed and collapsed onto it, not even bothering to put the sheets on my body. I felt my heart breaking. I felt my life changing. I felt hatred. Devastation. Pain...