Alternate Ending

• Dedicated to all my readers

A/N: Okay I finally got the alternate ending done within an hour. I hope it's good and that you'll like it. I hope it's not as sad as the original ending, but more touching. Please comment and vote if you liked this AE. The idea was from my friend JillCapricio and WeasleyTwin2 (I combined two ideas together). Thank you to both of them for the amazing AE idea. It was wonderful writing it. This one's shorter than the deleted one I wrote but hopefully it's still good either way. 

And here we come to the end of the story. I hope you've enjoyed it and that you'll vote for it. (P.S.: I'm putting this story up for The Watty Awards 2013 soon so please vote and get your friends who like Harry Potter to read it! i wish to be a finalist but I think the chances are pretty low of that happening.)

"RACHEL!" A familiar voice called my name. George Weasley. "Thank god you're alright. I was worried something happened to you." He embraced me in his lanky arms. I hugged him back. 

"Get off her, Weasley. She's mine to kill," Bellatrix shrieked from behind me. I pulled away from George immediately. "Betraying your master twice is what you do, eh Farrell? Maybe you'll end up dead like your good for nothing father!" She cackled, pointing her wand at me. A string of foreign incantations spilled from her lips, her wand conjuring a bullet-like structure. I shut my eyes, waiting for death.

Expecting my feet to be lifted off the ground, they remain solid on the cold ground. I peeked over my eyelashes to see a body sprawled across my feet. I collapsed, sobbing instantly. I ran my fingers through the familiar red hair and cupped George's face in my hands. "George, please... George!" I cried, sobbing into his shoulder. 

"I'll be alright. I promise," George whispered into my ear so soft only I could hear. "I love you Rachel."

"I love you too," I sobbed even harder. "I'm sorry for everything. I'm so so sorry."

"And this is everything I ever dreamed of. To be your shoulder to cry on," George stroked my hair, wincing as he swallowed. "I'll be fine. Don't worry about me." Was all he said before his chest rose and fell for the last time. 

"George, George! Wake up! It's not funny anymore. Please," I shouted, shaking his shoulders violently. 

I felt Draco's hand grip my shoulder tightly as he knelt beside me. Ginny and Mrs Weasley were at George's other side, their eyes puffy and swollen. Draco turned me around and held me. I cried uncontrollably into his chest, tears streaming down from my cheeks like a river. "He's not dead. Tell me he's still alive," I said. Draco was silent. "Tell me he's not dead. Please." Disbelief creeped up into my mind.

He's not dead. He's. Not. Dead. Despite his blank expression, George's face was still smiling cheekily in my mind's eye, each memory of him flashing into my mind. It was as if I was reading a book of memories I shared with George, each word from the book making a small cut on my skin, stinging my entire body with pain. Ginny pulled away from her mother and walked towards me. 

"Mind if I talk to you for a bit?" Ginny asked between sobs. I released Draco who straightened up behind me. She led me to a corner corridor where there were piles of rubble. "Before you cry anymore, I just want you to know something. You were a very special person to George. The first person he looked for after Fred's death was you. It's as if your presence makes him feel better. And I think he'd want you to have this." Ginny handed me a brown leather-bound book. The ribbon bookmark was frayed, brown mixing with white. 

"What is it?" I asked, flipping through the pages. 

"It was his diary. I read it once and he yelled at me for it but I want you to keep it. As a living memory of him," she said. Pain was etched in every word she said.