He stared at me, seeming confused. Admittedly, he looked adorable as he seemed deep in thought and my heart ached. Stop it, I screamed to myself.

"I'm lost," he said. "What happened?"

Unable to hold it in, I decided to let everything out. It was better to get closure now.

"You used me!" I shouted. "For the stupid, freaking kiss you made me fall for you! Everyone is talking about it and I know it's true. You didn't even acknowledge me until now and I know it's because you're trying to end things. You're an asshole Axel."

    Axel's eyes widened and he genuinely looked surprised. Seeing that, I knew he was a great actor.

    "Wait, what?" he said, stunned. "I... Oh my god. Who told you that?"

    "Everyone in school has been saying that." I narrowed my eyes at him. "And it's pretty believable, knowing you."

    Axel looked hurt at those words and I kept telling myself that this was an act. He never cared about me.

    "Zoey, do you honestly believe them?" he asked. "Do you honestly think I'd hurt you?"

    "Yes. I know how desperate you are for the kiss."

    Axel seemed taken aback and I knew I was being cruel. But, I just couldn't help it. He had really hurt me.

    "I would never ever use you," he said, growing quiet. "You know I really care about you. I thought you trusted me?"

    "I did, but I know your true colours now," I said. "So this is goodbye Axel. We're over."

    "You can't be serious. You're choosing what our classmates say over what I say?" His eyes widened. "Since when did you care about what they thought? You hate them, remember."

I didn't know what to say to that. It was true that I hated them, but their words were just so believable. Their words were my worst nightmare and from the way he had ignored me, they had to be true.

"All the signs show that their words are correct," I said flatly.

"What signs?" he retorted.

"You only started talking to me for the kiss, you've always been desperate for the kiss, and once you got it you ignored me for the entire day. If you wanted me you would never have pretended I didn't exist."

"That was because I didn't want there to be too much attention on us," he said, growing exasperated. "I knew people knew the kiss was passed on and I knew all eyes would be on us. I was trying to die the down attention."

    "And you couldn't have texted the plan to me? Called me or something?"

    Axel remained silent at that. He looked away and I caught the look of defeat on his face. I should be happy at the fact that I had won this argument, but instead I felt miserable. I hadn't wanted to win this because at the end of the day, I just wanted him to honestly love me.

So I began to close the door as I felt myself tear up. But before I could close it fully, Axel stopped the door with his hand. We looked at each other and I saw that he looked miserable. I felt the same way.

"I know nothing will make you believe me right now, but let me tell you something I've always wanted to tell you," he said. "I've liked you since grade nine. I've always admired your confidence and your brilliance and everything about you, but I never had the guts to talk to you. I always felt inferior and I knew you'd judge me if I talked to you randomly, so that was why I never spoke to you before. But when the kiss came to you, I had my opportunity. I had my reason so that's why I only started talking to you then. I don't know if this changes anything, but I've always wanted to tell you this."

    Before I could even process everything, Axel turned around and walked off. I found myself staring at him, stunned by the idea that he had alway liked me. He had thought I was too good for him. It was unbelievable and maybe it was. Maybe he was acting again.

     Not knowing what to do, I shut the door and told myself that this was for the best. I was going to graduate and I didn't need any distractions. Axel had to be of the past.