Chapter 6 - The outsider's cry

Start from the beginning

Oh, thank goodness. Nadie let out a sigh of relief. Maybe it wasn't too late after all; she still had a chance to meet the wolves! She silently hoped that Christine's story was just that--an exaggerated, second-hand story with no merit.

But even so, it wouldn't hurt to know a little more about the town's latest rumor...

"So. Is this guy who was supposedly bitten still around here somewhere?"

"Heck if I know. I don't know nothin' about how fast that whole changing thing works. I think you're over-thinking this, Nadie. Do ya need me to teach you the basic concept behind a rumor?"

"No, Christine, you don't. I'm just curious, that's all." The pair rounded a bend in the pathway and started down Main street. " All I mean is, if he's still here, I'd like to meet him."

"Really? You didn't seem to want to meet anybody I  brought you!"

You tried to set me up with Thomas. Do you realize just how creepy that was?

Up ahead, two people emerged from one of the houses and began walking side by side down the street. Christine snickered.

"Heh. Speaking of Trish..." Sure enough, it was Trish Tihkoosue walking on ahead of them, alongside someone who was wearing a dark hoodie. "Gee, I wonder who she's shagging now!"

"Christine!"

"Oh come one, Nads! She spends five days a week over at Wallace Lake. What do you THINK she does when she gets home? I'd  be doing the same thing if I were her! Gotta make time home count, amiright?"

I really hate it when you call me 'Nads.' Do you have any idea just how stupid that sounds? Do you know anything at all?!? Nadie rolled her eyes. "You disgust me, Christine."

"Ha! I think you're just jealous because I'm gettin' tail and you're not!"

"You know what? I'm perfectly fine without it, thank you very much--"

Up ahead, a gust of wind blew the hood off of Trish's partner, revealing a head of blonde hair and pale, white skin. Christine wrinkled her nose.

"Trish is doing an outsider, huh! Never really took her for that type of girl, but hey, I--"

"Shut up." Nadie froze in her tracks. She knew who was walking next to Trish.

No, it can't be. Why the heck would he be here? Why now?!?  For a moment, she though her eyes were playing tricks on her.

They weren't. She recognized him, even if she was only seeing him from behind.

"Hello? Earth to Nadie?" Christine waved a hand in front of her face. "You look like you've just seen a ghost."

"I-I think I have--" the boy next to Trish turned his head slightly, and Nadie let out a gasp--or was it a squeal?

Humfrey?

Without thinking, she broke into a sprint, closing the distance quickly. Who cares why he's here? She couldn't believe her luck--somehow, the only friend from Winnipeg that she had and the only friend she actually enjoyed being around had turned up here, in Bloodvein!

He turned around just as she wrapped her hands around him in a hug. The look of surprise on his face was the most welcome thing she'd seen in days!

"Humfrey! Of all the people I'd thought I would see here, you're the last person I'd expected!"

He tensed inside her arms, and slowly eased himself out of her hug. "N-nadie! It's good to see you!"

The look of surprise on his face was simply priceless. "What are you doing here?" she asked happily. There was no way that Christine was right, and Humfrey had just shagged Trish--Christine had no idea who she was talking about.