Four - Letting go of you

Warning - feels.

         *          *           *           *

I really can't believe it, Humfrey.

"Nadie."

Shut up, you jerk!

"Hey, hey, hey! Where is this coming from!"

You really are an idiot, you know that? Don't you ever think? Don't you ever listen?

I winced as she berated me. "We can't all be sharp like you, can we!"

She slapped me across the face, dragging her nails across my cheek. Even if it was only a dream...that still hurt!

Shut up, you wimp! I can't believe it! You've actually given up on me!

I frowned at her. She stood in front of me, her arms crossed and a scowl plastered across her face. Her long, brown hair was neatly braided behind her, which strangely only served to make dream-Nadie look even more intimidating.

"Didn't we have this same conversation this morning? Y'know, before I...snapped?"

Yeah, we did! But you still had a kernel of hope inside of you! She shoved me in the ribs angrily. There really is nothing left inside of you now!

"How could you possibly know that?"

This is a dream, moron. I know everything. And I know that you've finally let go!

"So?"

So?!? Are you kidding me? What are you going to do now, huh? Let's face it. I'm the only thing that kept you remotely sane over the winter.

"Nadie...you're dead. Machk said you were." I sighed and looked down at my hands. "There's no point in torturing me in my dreams anymore. I still have nightmares about Mingan biting me last year, I don't need you in there, too."

Gee, what a romantic you are! Y'know, you always were really thick-headed, you know that?

"Stop it. Please."

What? No! Don't you dare shut me out, I'm not done talking to you yet! I need you to think--

"Nadie, please. I know this is just a dream, but...I need to let you go. I can't keep bottling this up inside anymore! Look at me! Look at what I did!" I waved around my hands; even in my nightmare, they still were covered in Norman's blood. "Machk was right, Nadie. He was right! I am a killer!"

Screw Machk! Listen to me, what he said didn't even make sense! Didn't we just talk about this this morning? Don't you remember what Norm said to you after he sold you?

"I love you, Nadie."

Stop being such a stubborn prick, dammit! All I'm asking you to do is think! Norm told you that I was already dead when he turned you over to Abrams. But Machk said that he an' Elizabeth took care of us personally--

"Good bye."

Something cold and wet pressed itself against my face, and my eyes snapped open. Daanis stopped sniffing me, and licked my cheek gently.

"I was beginning to think you were never going to wake up!"

I wiped her slobber from my face and stiffly stood up against Norm's truck. "Yeah, me too. Thanks." I jingled the keys, and eyed the truck.