He just gave her that look. The one where he knew best. The one she longed to show him looked completely and utterly stupid, because he was wrong. “You couldn’t hurt anybody Ais.” He had started shortening her name four days ago. And even though she kept telling him not to, he just kept on calling her Ais. Secretly she quite liked it. But the more he ordered her about the more contrary she was becoming.

“Fine, Cam. I will accept what you are saying. If Isla agrees.” Smiling she knew she had won. Cam could go against anyone’s orders except Isla’s. After the conversation she had had with Isla yesterday, she knew she was ready to hit Cam upside the head for the Sassenach like behaviour he was exhibiting.

Cam saw the smile and knew he had lost. He knew he was in danger of going too far, but he needed to keep her safe. And the culprit had still not being caught. They could not prove anything at the moment. Until that person was safely in his dungeon he wanted to keep Ais locked up here, where no one could get to her unless he had given express permission.

Logic, he had to think. If Aislinn rebelled than she would be in danger, if he managed to come up with an idea that she agreed to then he may be able to solve both their problems. “Fine. On one condition.”

She gave him a suspicious look, he had given in too easily. Well easily for him. He could very well have waited for Isla to give her verdict on the matter. He was up to something. “What condition?”

“No need to look so suspicious, Ais. You wait until after you have broken your fast this morning. And you stay in the main hall where I can make sure you are still well.”

“That is two conditions. But, I will agree if you let me out of this infernal room.” Smiling as sweetly as she possible could, she knew how much it had taken for him to allow her so much already. She had seen how her ordeal had affected him. She did not want to make matters worse for him. If she admitted it to herself, she actually like arguing with Cam, she liked that he cared enough to argue with her. She had never felt that safe before. For she knew that he would not hurt her, no matter how heated their conversations got.

Satisfied with his capitulation she made herself comfortable. She had won this battle and fully intended to bask in the glow of the win. For she knew the outcome of the war would very much be in Camdyn’s favour. She had a feeling though that she would not mind when the victor was declared.

Cam had never enjoyed his company more than the private morning meals he had had in the last week. He knew that Aislinn was getting annoyed being cooped up, but watching her mood change each morning. Seeing a very different side to her, while she was still the politest woman in her condition he had the luck to meet. Today she practically vibrated. It did his heart good to know she was doing so well.

The conversation today was lively. He was getting to know her in ways he had never cared to know about others. Things he knew about other because he had grown with them. In turn he told of the times he had incurred Isla’s wrath. She seemed to thoroughly enjoy those stories. Her laughter ringing across the room. Isla found them like that. He was worried the shock would hurt her, the smile he saw, however, transformed the heavily lined face. He had not seen her smile like that in years. Aislinn was changing this clan, already, her presence had change something intrinsically and he could only see that as a good thing.

“Isla, I am so glad you are here. We need you to settle an argument.” A sly glance in Cam’s direction showed him shaking his head in defeat. “Cam will let me out of this room for the day. The condition is, you have to say I am well enough to sit in the main hall, instead of sitting here.”

Cam was sure he saw Aislinn roll her eyes. He grinned he had never expected such a thing from her. He hoped that meant she was starting to feel comfortable around him. Looking towards Isla, he knew what her answer would be. “I’ve been telling Camdyn to let you out of this room for the past few days. You aren’t to do anything, you are not strong enough yet to walk much. But I have no issue with you having a change of scenery.”

Isla took the opportunity to shoo Cam from the room to ‘set up’ for Aislinn downstairs. Aislinn didn’t want any special treatment. Had tried to stop them. Isla was not taking any notice of her protestations and somehow managed to bully her into a dress she had not seen before. Aislinn had realised days ago, arguing with Isla was pointless. Isla would get her way not matter how much you tried to dispute it.

Cam was still searching for her. It was not safe. She had to lay low for a while. They had no proof yet. They would not find it. She had made sure of that. No one had seen her, or if they had they would not have seen her but Larena. If she ended up getting the blame for it the woman deserved it with how she had treated most of the village. The only mistake she had made was getting the wrong goblet. She had meant it to be Aislinn’s goblet from the start. But it had turned out well in the end. Everyone was looking for a culprit who wanted Cam dead. She did not want Cam dead and that is what would make sure she was not caught.