7.

"It's all blue-black," Josh says. "My home, I mean. That's why I like it here better."

"You've told me that," Tyler says. "Lots."

"That doesn't make it any less true," Josh points out.

"I know," Tyler says. "I'm just saying that I hear you whenever you tell me."

"But I don't want you to hear me," Josh says insistently. "I want you to listen."

Tyler frowns. "What's the difference?"

Josh makes a frustrated noise. "Some people- philosophers, mainly- say other people never hear each other," he says. "But I don't think that's true. I think everyone hears, but I don't think most people listen."

Tyler's frown deepens. "I still don't get it."

"It's like..." Josh shifts, taking Tyler's hand. "Okay, when I say 'take my hand,' you think of holding hands, right? Not of taking my hand someplace with you. Unless we go somewhere hand-in-hand, but that's a different story." He shakes his head to clear it. "What I mean is, you hear 'take my hand' but listen to 'hold my hand.'"

"Oh." Tyler pauses, thinking. "I get it." He frowns again. "I think."

Josh cracks a smile. "Well, at least you're honest.
======
A/N Super short chapter I know but the next one I think is going to be pretty good! Hope you are enjoying the story so far!