Chapter 16: Tempus Fugit

Disclaimer: D. Gabaldon owns all rights to outlander             Banner by LOS

. . . . .

Despite his fears, Frank grew to enjoy his association with Alexander. He had such an affable spirit about him. It was no wonder Randall held an inordinate amount of affection for the young man. The fact that he would only grace Frank's life for a short time was a cross he had to bear. In the meantime, they were on their way to France.

Just one week into the sojourn, Alexander met a pretty little miss named, Mary Hawkins. At first he was distressed that she seemed put off by him.

"Why do you suppose she's so reticent, Jonny? I've never been ungentlemanly whenever we've met. I don't understand it."

"Just come right out and ask her."

He shook his head. "I couldn't."

"Faint heart never won fair maiden."

Alexander let out a painful groan. "I shall very likely faint if I have to pry into her private concerns, but perhaps I should put the question to her."

. . . . .

Frank was in a pub awaiting Alexander, anxious to hear if he had clarified why the girl seemed to shy away from him. He had just finished off a glass of chardonnay when his brother appeared. His expression was ineffable.

Alexander plunked down with a thud. "Well, Jonny. It turns out that she's avoiding me so as not to sully my reputation."

"What?"

He leaned forward, resting his elbows on the table, his head buoyed up upon his fists. "It's true. Apparently she was assaulted and raped several weeks ago. Her betrothed broke off their engagement on discovering that fact; not that she ever had any feelings for the man ... But in the aftermath of the situation, she feels like she has no worth, and no respectable man will have her. Well, I'll have her. It was not her doing. She is still a virgin in my eyes."

"Did you express those sentiments to her?"

"Yes, indeed."

"And ...?"

"Mary was inconsolable. She wept while in my arms for quite some time."

"You're a good man, Alex."

"I couldn't help myself. I love her, Jonny."

. . . . .

The next week while at Versailles, he watched Alexander and Mary saunter off together to the gardens. It seemed that there was a mutual approbation between them.

The Duke then found him and he was thus immersed in conversation. When Frank turned his head he saw Claire and that Scotsman side by side. What could he do? And should he even care? In a burst of brazenness, he waved to the couple and actually smiled. Ha—what would they think of that?

As the weeks passed, he couldn't help but notice that his brother and Mary were inseparable. The relationship was bound to end in tragedy however, since the hacking cough that plagued Alexander grew worse, and now whenever he covered his mouth with a handkerchief, it came away in his fingers with streaks of blood.

# # # # #

Mary confided in me one day while shopping. I was holding up some crepe de chine to her. "I believe this will accentuate your coloration, and emphasize the blue in your eyes. We can have it made up at Madame Reinette's and you can wear it all season."