.41.

22-25

That was the ending score of our first practice set with a professional volleyball team. The fact that we didn't win seemed almost inconsequential during the aftermath, when everyone was still feeling effects of the amazing advances we made.

Kageyama and Yamaguchi had each pulled off two service aces, both of Kageyama's being no-touch. By the end, both Ennoshita and Nishinoya had received at least one of Ushijima's spikes and limited Oikawa's service aces to only one.

Even Hinata had scored a service ace, mainly due to none of the other team's members suspecting such a drastic hook. He also manage quite a few wipes even I couldn't imagine doing.

I had scored nearly half of the rest of the points, a little less than Tanaka and Hinata together, and Ennoshita pulled off three near perfect spikes.

So no, we weren't at all bummed when the final whistle blew while the ball was on our side. We encircled Ukai on the sidelines, an new rush of hope over all of us.

"I don't need to tell you how much that set was worth." He began. "What I do need to say is: Get as much as you can from them as possible.

"They'll be here tomorrow and Wednesday as well. Speaking of, Ennoshita, (Boy Name). They'll all be staying in the captain and co-captain dorm." He mentioned the fact in passing, as if it were nothing.

The small hope that I'd only have to deal with ten others in the same room as me seemed to vanish instantly. I quickly took note of the group of boys cooling down beside us.

Okay, they mostly seemed normal.

Well, unless you counted the fact that Bokuto and Kuroo were almost harassing the two setters from their old teams.

Or the fact that Tendō and Ushijima were studying our second years with both enthusiasm, on the red head's part, and apathy, on Mr. Stoic's part.

And maybe allowing myself to even glance at Oikawa, as loaded as that situation was, was a psych out.

There were so many opportunities for event that I couldn't seem to worry about them all at once. And none seemed to take precedence.

"(Boy Name)! Race me!" I returned my focus on the source of voice, following Nishinoya from the gym.

"I'm no fool, Noya." I scoffed, lining up along the base of the hill with the rest of the team. "You're better at sprints than I am."

"Cop out!" He accused, causing me to roll my eyes.

"Fine, you're on." I answered, knowing I'd likely be left in the dust by the time he reached the top.

This penalty, being both Karasuno's first and the last one of the day, was just the right motivation for the simpletons to go about a race. Just my luck to become a part of it.

"Ready... Go!" Ennoshita called, and I realized very quickly that everyone seemed to be a part of the race to the top.

Hinata and Kageyama on my left quickly took the lead, taking point. I ended up in between Narita and Tanaka at the end, somewhere near the middle of the pack.

I didn't care to look to see who had reached the peak first until a small argument broke out.

"Tsukishima?!" Hinata was indignant as he accused the blond, and loud enough to reach the entire group.

"How? You're horrible at these!" Kageyama questioned, earning himself a smirk from Tsukishima.

"Correction, I used to be." He replied smugly. "My legs are even longer now."

I had to hide my laugh to avoid joining the hubbub, starting the descent down the hill.

"Alright, you guys can practice individually now, if you'd like." Ennoshita called as we returned to the gym, where most of the others had scattered about to practice. "Tell me or (Boy Name) where you are going to be, and the cafeteria closes in three hours."

The words were like popping a balloon, immediately causing the team to disperse to do whatever came to mind. A few came to tell me where they were off to, including Hinata.

"Tsukishima!" He approached the blocker from behind, interrupting Tsukishima's explanation as to where he was going. "Are you going to practice with them?"

"Yeah." Tsukishima sighed, almost like he regretted where he was going. "Bokuto said they'd wait up for us."

"Really?!" Hinata couldn't have seemed more excited. That was, until he turned to me. "You should come, too, (Boy Name)!"

"Where?" I asked, trying not to look too hesitant.

"Gym 3! You could come practice with us and Bokuto!" He hopped a little with the words.

"And Kuroo. And Akaashi." Tsukishima added, shaking his head at Hinata. "And maybe even Lev."

"Oh, I'm not sure I'm really invited." I chuckled, avoiding watching the way his eyes fell a little.

"Well," Tsukishima began, smirking, "I'm not sure their qualifications are too difficult to meet."

"You just insulted both of us." Hinata whispered, and poorly at that, up to him.

"Oh, maybe then." I shrugged, not entirely sure what I wanted to work on. Would I be dragging down the rhythm?

"Oh, go, (Boy Name)." Ennoshita suddenly interrupted, shaking his head. "Remember what Ukai said: Get as much as you can from them."

"Right." I replied after a moment's pause. "Okay, let's go then."

I grabbed my street shoes from beside the door, following the two blockers into the fading afternoon light.

What could go wrong? It was only training.

∆∆∆

Why would I say that?

Why would I invite the universe to rain down both awkward and absolutely nerve-wracking problems on my head?

The immediate issue seemed easy to deal with, as it turned out.

The others were fine with my arrival, all four of them. I was entirely okay until I heard a cheerful greeting from the other side of the room.

"Hi, Tobio-chan's teammates!" He called from the other court in the gym. "Mind if I join?"