Inconsolable

©JRF2016

      By the time she makes it back to Norman's she is in full tears. She's not upset over her mother's words, she really expected no more from her. She always knew her mother hated her, she knew she even blamed her and now she had her confirmation. Still her tears flow. Norman runs to her and sits on the couch rocking her in his arms. She doesn't speak a single word despite Norman's best efforts to get her to talk to him. She just curled up into his arms and cried until she fell asleep. Norman swoops her up and carried her to to the bedroom tucking her into the bed and kissing her on the forehead.

          Norman leaves her lying there peacefully sleeping and goes to work. He can't stop thinking about her though. He keeps wondering what happened to upset her that bad. Was it her mother being an evil bitch as usual or was it something else. She is still in the same spot he left her when he does finally get home. She hasn't moved and she is still sleeping.

         She wakes up in the middle of the night in bed beside Norman. She looks over at his sleeping face and then kisses his lips. His eye flutter open and a smile spreads across those soft lips."Hey," he says staring into her eyes. "Hey." She replies as she scoots in closer to him. He waits but she still doesn't tell him what had her so upset earlier. "You gonna tell me what happened?" He finally just comes out and asks. Her head now resting on his chest she shakes her head but tells him anyway. "Mom died yesterday while I was there," she confesses without looking up into his face. Norman sits up now causing her to sit with him and looks her in the face. "Did you two make peace before?" Jade shakes her head.

"She never wanted that. She blamed me for my father leaving, said I was no good slut, whore, homewrecker." Jade had tears forming in her eyes again, not tears of sadness but of anger.  The more she revealed to Norman the angrier she got. She got up  and walked over to the window on the opposite side of the room, her fists clenched. Unbeknownst to her Norman had followed and when he noticed the tenseness he tried to comfort her. He put his hand on her shoulder to pull her back to him. Before he could pull her in she turned and started swinging at him. Her fist connected with his face twice before he wrapped his arms around her so she couldn't swing anymore. "Jade," he says in a calm voice trying to soothe her but it doesn't work. She fights and squirms until she finally wiggles herself free from his grip.  She stands back glaring at him, those green eyes on fire with anger. He had never seen her like this in just over the two months they had spent together. She still doesn't utter any words, she just pushes him on her way out the door and leaves.

       Norman doesn't waste any time, he turns immediately and follows her outside. She reaches the end of his driveway and spins around. "Norman please don't follow me." Her eyes pleading with him now, "I just need some time alone. I scared myself in there just now and I don't want to hurt you." He nods understanding and watches her walk away.

        She makes her way down the street and ends up in front of that house again. She has no clue why she is here but she is. "You came back." Jade spins around to see her aunt walking up behind her. "I just went for a walk in this direction, I had no choice but to walk passed this place." Jade tells her with no feeling behind it at all.

"Turns out your mom wanted to be cremated. I just got back, do you want her ashes?"

"That was kind of quick wasn't it?" Jade asks ignoring her question.

"Well, turns out your mother wasn't very popular so there wasn't much need for a funeral, that and she didn't have a lot of money and no insurance. I had to pay for this out of my own pocket." Her aunt looks into her face now, "Do you want these? You can spread them somewhere special for her."

"I'll dump them out right here and do a damn dance on them." She reaches for the urn but her aunt pulls it away.

"Jade that is just disrespectful, she is, was your mother. You only get one of those you know?"

"You have to earn respect, and she didn't do that. You didn't hear the way she talked to me the day she died, did you? She doesn't deserve my respect and she won't get it."

"Well well," a happy sounding voice chimes from the other side of her, "If it ain't my beautiful little Jade." She freezes solid at the sound of that voice and her hand begin shaking. It can't be. She thought after all this time that maybe he was dead but no, here he is in the flesh and Jade is just as scared as ever.