Chapter 05

Chapter 05

I just finished packing my stuff and about to drive my way down to River Heights. I'm going alone. I heard from Shawn, our Team Leader, that about nine new members will be joining our group. I used to have a crush on Shawn. He's not only into climbing but also into rock songs. In fact, he's the lead vocals of the band Fourth Degree which used to perform on some of our school functions. His band covers songs from U2, Foo Fighters, Coldplay and many others.

Shawn knew that I had a crush on him when I was 15. He was like 18 at that time. He was cool about it though. He found out from her girl friend , Jeannie who happened to be my cousin and girl best friend. I couldn't hide secrets from my dear Jeannie. I always thought she was a lipstick lesbian. You don't wanna mess with her though. She's a part time witch, part time bitch. I think she put a spell on me because all my carnal desires for Shawn were erased until they both graduated from high school. I still adore Jeannie very much and I missed her so much. I was expecting her to come since Shawn is here too.

" Hey there monkey, " as I heard a very familiar voice and I was right, it came from Jeannie.

"Hey there Witch, " I replied. Jeannie put on a fake frown at me. "Get used to it Jen. I didn't forget because the spell is still effective. " I chuckled. She just told me to shut up. Ha ha ha.

After a few minutes of talking with Jeannie, we walked together towards Shawn who's gathering people around him. Standing at few feet from us, Shawn announced that we will be grouped by three's.

"We are just waiting for others to arrive. While waiting, we can start grouping. Basically each group will be composed of 2 seasoned members and 1 new member, " Shawn explained. After some few moments, Shawn started calling out names until mine was up.

"Taylor Donovan, you will be with Jeannie Travis and let me see..... Hmmm... Richard Atkins. "

Whaaaat!!!!! This couldn't be happening. This is a nightmare. I tagged Jeannie's arm immediately and said, "Jeannie please tell Shawn to regroup me. I don't want to be with that prick."

"No can't do, Sweetie. I don't wanna be in your group either but rules are rules," Jeannie grinning.

"I swear I will put a spell on you and Shawn. I will talk to Shawn myself you Wicked Witch." I said and went to Shawn .

After a short talk with Shawn, I still failed to transfer to another group. Gosh, I just voted myself the biggest wuss and crybaby ever. Shawn started to 'lecture' now.

"Taylor, you should set an example here. Our purpose is to foster trust among new members. Jeannie and I have never been in the same group even up to now. I would love Jeannie to be with me but that is basically defeating our purpose, " Shawn explained. "You'll survive Taylor. "

I just looked up to the sky and said to myself - Why on earth the gods and goddesses are conspiring to make my well-loved hobby turn into a catastrophe of elephantine proportions. And with so much protest, I started unpacking my stuffs. It was then I saw Richard heading to our direction, looking flustered and confused? Bad hair day much?

"I'm sorry I was late. I'm Richard and you must be Jeannie." Switching his look to me, he said, " Hi Taylor, " as he extend out his hand for a quick shake with mine. It would be rude not to return the favor. Don't get me wrong. I didn't feel anything. Just a sweaty palm though.

Jeannie nodded with her head in slow motion like talking to a preschool kid. "You will be needing a rope, pair of leather gloves, safety harness, and head gear. If you have safety goggles, better. And Taylor, check Richard's harness. Make sure for a snug fit, " as she ordered.