8: Day One

Ava's POV

What makes him think that coming right at my face will get him the answer?

"Why do you care ?" I raise an eyebrow. Yes, I can do that.

"Who ?" He asks menacingly. And for a moment a flicker of fear passes my eyes.

"Me" Mine and Lucifer's staring session is interrupted by Joey's voice. Lucifer turns to him so quick I hear the click of his bones. Buddy... do you have a death wish ? Don't you know that I am supposed to keep you alive for Emily's episode ? Huh ?

Lucifer stride to him purposefully. He gets into a staring contest with Joey and then I swear I never saw it coming and from Joey's baffaled look neither did he Lucifer swings his arm and punches Joey square on his face. Joey's head bounces back with the effect which is so strong that the back of his head collides with the wall beside the now open door and falls on the ground.

"Hey !" I shout at Lucifer. Is he nuts ? He doesn't even look at me. Instead he means down to Joey's level and whispers something in his ear then gets back up looks at me in the eye with a state so intense that I have to look away. Then Emily walks in through the door and takes in the situation at the aprtment. I am sure she must've caught into the atmosphere but she can be pretty dense.

"HOLY BALLS ON A PLATE WHAT HAPPENED ?" Forget it. She is dense.

"Tennis balls ?" I say. Who am I kidding ? I am her best friend for a reason. I wouldn't leave her hanging like that looking like an idiot. Right ? I am a good friend. The twinkle in her eyes is hard to pass. She is going to retort with an even crazier answer.

"No.... hand balls" she says. I think she needs holy water, ten Sundays in a church and to read the bible hundred times. Because if you didn't get this joke well.... She and I burst out laughing at our own private joke.

"Jeez girls leave it to you two to laugh at an inappropriate home when your best friend is been punched on an inappropriate moment." Joey's voice halts out giggling marathon. We completely forgot he was here.

"It's not an inappropriate joke it's just an inappropriate moment. Jokes are never inappropriate. If they were then they would settle down completely in an inappropriate moment and it would be a perfect fix" That one was me. Yup people. Four times in a row. But who's counting ?

"Jokes are inappropriate" that one was Lucifer. Let me tell you buddy. I will make you feel like a virgin.

"Okay then. A daughter asked her mother, "Mom, how do you spell 'scrotum'?" Her mom replied, "Honey, you should have asked me last night-it was on the tip of my tongue." I just deliberately made a sexual joke in front of my new boss. Oops.

"A father and his 6-year-old son are walking down the street, and they come across two dogs having sex. The boy is shocked by what he sees and asks his father "Daddy, what are they doing?" The father, not wanting to lie to his son, says "they're just making a puppy." "OK" says the son, and the father is relieved that he doesn't probe further. The next day, the son bursts into his parents' room and sees them having sex. The father jumps up and quickly covers himself. Knowing he's in for an interesting talk, walks downstairs with him and they sit at the dining room table. His son asks him "Daddy, what were you and mommy doing?" Again, wanting to be honest with his son, he says "me and mommy were making a baby." His son pauses for a moment, thinking, and then replies "flip mommy over, I want a puppy!" That was Emily. I stare at he a moment longer when the joke finally says in. I look at Lucifer trying to adjust his pants discreetly. Such a guy. I roll my eyes at him and when he finally catches my eye his eyes depict a mixture of 'I should hail ass' and 'these people are martians'. I burst out laughing at that.

******

I was on my way to KGOC building and remembering yesterday. My birthday is not something I am overly excited about but it's something I do look forward to every year. It was a good day. Lucifer wished me before he left giving Joey the Malicious look. Yeah he did that. We celebrated my birthday by cutting NewYork Cheesecake. And then roaming around the city feeding the poor.

This is just something of a tradition I do. I save $10 everyday for a year and then use it all to but food and clothing for the homeless. Sometimes I even help them out with their unofficially adopted dogs. These people adopt street dogs but in some cases animal control take them away due to various reasons. In this case I help by giving them enough to vaccinate their dogs for once and legally adopt them. After all they are all these people have.

As I was entering the building I saw a receptionist on the huge reception counter. I didn't think I had noticed her before. I didn't think anything of it and moved forward. I wasn't late and I intended to show the fallen that.

"Excuse me, Miss. Can I help you?" An overly sweet voice calls in from behind me. I turn around to see that it was the woman I saw a few seconds ago.

"Yes, today is my first day. I am starting work here as an assistant to Me.Knight" I say. I wasn't going to make the mistake of calling him Lucifer in front of her. I don't wanna start any gossip.

"You" she literally scoffs the word, "Babe, why don't you move along huh? We both know you are too young for him. Why don't you college girl go back to where you came from and leave him to real women. Like me" she sneers. Is she serious right now? Desperation leaks from her statements.

"Really?" I give her my no nonsense-seriouly-sarcastic look. "Babe.... Even high schoolers are more discreet than that. Given they have better comebacks than that. Girl, really?"

"Angela you are fired. Pack your things" Lucifer's voice interrupts my spat with Angela.

Her eyes go big with hope and a smile tugs her lips, "You know my name?"

Okay. She won this round. You know what they say. Never argue with a stupid.

Lucifer growls angrily and grand my wrist dragging me to the elevators. He hands me two cards. "One is for you to use my private elevator and the other is your entry card for this building. I will give you the rest of the codes once we reach my floor."

PUBLISHED: JULY 7, 2016