Prologue

Run.

Just run.

What else can I possibly do in this sort of situation? Orange and red wisps clouding my eyes, ash black smoke choking my lungs, screeches of metal fixtures and cracking glass slaughtering my ears. Nothing but the same message reverberating, echoing, repeating in my head.

Just get out. Just keep running.

I could swear that their shouts were getting louder and closer to me. It was only natural; they were taller than me, bigger than me. But I knew that I held more power than all of them combined... Who told me that again? Was it him?

He can't get you. None of them can get you.

Gotta remember... Who said that...? Who told me that? Who was it?!

It's not going to happen again. If you keep going, you'll be fine.

I have to get out of here to be fine.

I have to keep running to be fine.

I have to...

I've got to...

I NEED TO...

J U M P .

~~~~~

"You... can't make it for the exhibition?" Her voice practically shattered at the thought.

The depressing drop in her tone must have been obvious to the person on the other end. "I'm so sorry, sweetie," A feminine voice replied, her tone full of concern and care. "It's just... well..."

"It's okay, mom. I know you don't mean it," The teenager hurriedly spoke up. Despite having an inkling that she'd receive a positive response, it was surprisingly easy to hide her disappointment. It was a habit that she had been doing it for years, after all.

Years, huh...

After saying goodbye on the phone, the brunette stood up from the coffee table and strolled back to her room, silence trailing after her like a shadow. It was the same routine like always; call a parent, head back, do work, have food, sleep till the next day, go to school, come back from school, repeat...

"I'm not gonna sugarcoat it," She said aloud in the emptiness of her room. "I'm bored of it," No one was gonna hear her or even respond, but she said it anyway. It had became another pointless habit of hers, one that may never go away even after she became an adult and-

Hah, there she went again, rambling on as if someone was listening. Focus, Frisk. You got book work to do.

She turned back to the papers on her desk, flipping through the book reviews that she received from her juniors during club time today. Even though she had just been appointed as the vice president of the Book Club, the teen quickly discovered the responsibilities that were thrusted upon her. And judging by the stack on her desk, it was pretty clear that there was a lot of work cut for her, not to mention her own schoolwork...

But she remained optimistic. In fact, Frisk was proud of her position. She had been yearning to become a linguist in her adulthood, so receiving such a title was a definite booster for her portfolio. Besides, she loved reading, so what could she really complain about?

Her new position was the only reason why she was hoping that her parents could come back and see her again...

She sighed at the thought but shook it off quickly, readjusting her gaze from the window above her desk back to her work.

Which habit was this again? Ah, yes.

The weird feeling that she had to keep a vigil on her window, as if someone was watching her...

~~~~~